Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE SC 4.5 Just Got Hit With A One-Week Delay

Phoronix: KDE SC 4.5 Just Got Hit With A One-Week Delay

If you've been waiting around today for the planned release of KDE Software Compilation 4.5, you can stop waiting. No, KDE SC 4.5 wasn't released nor will it be today, but its release has been pushed back by one week. Due to the amount of changes committed after the third release candidate of the KDE 4.5 desktop, it was found best by the release team to postpone this six-month update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE makes a nice desktop. Good for them. I wish more distros shipped it by default rather than Gnome. Not that I have anything against gnome, it's just the lopsided "market share" given how good KDE really is.

Comment

Yeah, it's like Windows vs Linux. Even if Windows sucks, it has the market share because it's commercially more viable. Just like Gnome vs KDE

Comment

Any one knows the release schedule of Qt 4.7? Is that public?

Comment

Qt 4.7 Release Schedule

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
          Any one knows the release schedule of Qt 4.7? Is that public?
          the only thing I can find about Qt 4.7 release is that RC1 will be tagged on August 5th and that probably another RC will follow. More here

Comment

Good thing. No need to rush, and people did notice a couple of showstoppers in RC3. Good to see that they will take the release seriously.

KDE 4 is finally starting to live up to its full potential. This release will be epic.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              KDE 4 is finally starting to live up to its full potential. This release will be epic.
              Is Akonadi finally ready?

There were so many bugs with Akonadi/KDEPIM when using a Kolab server or an IMAP adressbook in KDE 4.4. Akonadi seems to be the last, big construction site, so I really hope that this release finally has full Akonadi support.

Comment

Originally posted by Smorg View Post
                KDE makes a nice desktop. Good for them. I wish more distros shipped it by default rather than Gnome. Not that I have anything against gnome, it's just the lopsided "market share" given how good KDE really is.
                KDE is much more deployed than you think. 50 million Brazilian students use/are going to use variation of Debian/Kubuntu. 1 million desktops are sold there too with KDE each year. Also there're very big deployments in India. Chinese Red Flag also uses KDE which is the most popular distro there and so on... In the end KDE is pretty darn popular just because it's not default in Ubuntu doesn't mean it's not popular

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Yeah, it's like Windows vs Linux. Even if Windows sucks, it has the market share because it's commercially more viable. Just like Gnome vs KDE
                  From my understanding, KDE used to have the lionshare of the Linux desktop market in the US. That changed with KDE 4.0.0, because people started to adopt it before it was ready for mainstream use.

Comment

This is awesome and I can't wait, but am I the only one who's still thinking with every new release about the one things that is totaly out of alignment? Where the fsck is that freakin' Raptor menu? Is it still not there? I mean come on! You'd think the entire KDE team would have been on it at least three releases back!

And of all the things I do not like about Gnome; the one thing that I did like was the fact that they got the notifications right, so I realy hope that the reworked notification part is what I hope it is.

Other than those two things I am very happy that KDE is continuing the KDE4 series. I hope they will for a very, very, very long time.

Comment

Working...
                    X