Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The OpenSolaris-based Illumos Project Announced

Phoronix: The OpenSolaris-based Illumos Project Announced

Last week we reported on the Illumos project that may be a fork of OpenSolaris coming out of the OpenSolaris community being shafted by Oracle. Not many details were known at that time, but now the Nexenta-sponsored Illumos project has formally introduced itself...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Today is a good day. Everyone wins from this. Regardless of future development with the official OpenSolaris and Oracle this will be a good thing and contribute to the community either way.

Comment

Why do they care that much. The only place where Solaris matters is among servers but even there it's been losing market share for a long time and has already a tiny marketshare, it's not poised to be popular on the desktop nor on mobiles or supercomputers, sooner or later ZFS will face Btrfs and DTrace - FTrace, so there's getting less and less incentive to keep it alive besides for legacy setups. Of course I oversimplified the issue but not by a lot, you get the main points.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Why do they care that much. The only place where Solaris matters is among servers but even there it's been losing market share for a long time and has already a tiny marketshare, it's not poised to be popular on the desktop nor on mobiles or supercomputers, sooner or later ZFS will face Btrfs and DTrace - FTrace, so there's getting less and less incentive to keep it alive besides for legacy setups. Of course I oversimplified the issue but not by a lot, you get the main points.
        Why would people care about linux or *BSD? They only matter on servers and phones, why should they be a big deal?

Comment

Because Solaris is here and has been for quite a while unlike the things you refer to?

Why replace it rather than continuing to build on it?

They will now continue developing the code base with or without Oracle, it's not like ZFS, DTrace and other technologies are standing still.

I suppose your argument is that the Solaris community and the BSDs should just shut down and everyone should use and contribute to one OS. Good thing others think differently.

Comment

1. This is another FOSS project with an obscure (absurd) name.
            2. Have they finally upgraded to GCC 4 yet?

Comment

wow fanboyism. I obviously mean that it's only got a tiny server market share which has been shrinking for like 10 years with or without open source Solaris based/like distros. So what's the fight about? For the sake of having something besides Linux/BSD? That's the grand idea?
              I don't see any interest in it from anyone except basically those who worked with it in the past a lot.
              So what are the grand plans except for keeping it around? There were plans for it to make meaning for the Mac world through ZFS but even that has been dropped.

Comment

wow fanboyism. I obviously mean that it's only got a tiny server market share which has been shrinking for like 10 years with or without open source Solaris based/like distros. So what's the fight about? For the sake of having something besides Linux/BSD? That's the grand idea?
                I don't see any interest in it from anyone except basically those who worked with it in the past a lot.
                So what are the grand plans except for keeping it around? There were plans for it to make meaning for the Mac world through ZFS but even that has been dropped.
                If people enjoy something, they will continue to do it, it doesn't need to have a grand purpose, and it's not harming you.

So why are you complaining?

NOTE: I don't use Solaris or *BSD, but I just hate trolls.

Comment

I use Solaris every day at work, and we've got a ton of servers based on it. Yes, we're replacing a lot of our stuff with Linux/MacOS, but Solaris will be around for a very long time (mission critical certified Linux is there, but we KNOw Solaris works). If there's an Open Source alternative which is ABI compatible with Solaris, and more importantly, certified and supported (contracts of ours require that we use a supported OS), our IT team might take notice.

Comment

Did actually anyone mention that OpenSolaris was crippled? I once made the mistake to install it on a test server. It was only then that I discovered that you had to pay in order for the update functionality to work. No money = no security updates.

Comment

Working...
                    X