No announcement yet.

Workstation Benchmarks: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's about time to kick Windows in Windows...

@RealNC Maybe you got that backwards,

It's the perfect example of why having more throughput is not better; Linux does it slower, but the whole system don't locks up while doing IO. Windows is faster, but the system don't stays fluid while the operation is executing.

At lest that i noticed while am doing cleaning on family system, Linux never locks up on but Windows sometimes have to wait that stupid links in folder to the job what ever they do and show up finally.

Comment

Originally posted by filip007 View Post
      It's about time to kick Windows in Windows...

@RealNC Maybe you got that backwards,

It's the perfect example of why having more throughput is not better; Linux does it slower, but the whole system don't locks up while doing IO. Windows is faster, but the system don't stays fluid while the operation is executing.

At lest that i noticed while am doing cleaning on family system, Linux never locks up on but Windows sometimes have to wait that stupid links in folder to the job what ever they do and show up finally.
      It's the opposite for me though. Linux locks up when copying large files. Windows (7, 64-bit) never does.

Comment

Yes. Actually throughput and responsiveness ususally go in opposite directions. For instance, the description of the frequency settings in the kernel suggests higher values for better desktop responsiveness at the expense of throughput performance, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Working...
        X