Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PHP-GTK is getting increasingly stale - any comment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    On a side note, if PTS is the biggest PHP-gtk user, maybe Phoronix could sponsor a dev on it?
    None of the PTS commercial users have any interest in the GUI, so there really is not too much of a point from my end.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I actually also don't see the php GUI going anywhere because of the fact that you can't even use php-gtk with ubuntu 10.04 without going through a lot of hurdles.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
        I actually also don't see the php GUI going anywhere because of the fact that you can't even use php-gtk with ubuntu 10.04 without going through a lot of hurdles.
        Indeed, in hind sight it would appear choosing to do PTS in php was a mistake. A utilizing C or C++ would have made things a lot easier in the long run for porting to other OS's, GUI implementation and even adding tests.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Indeed, in hind sight it would appear choosing to do PTS in php was a mistake. A utilizing C or C++ would have made things a lot easier in the long run for porting to other OS's, GUI implementation and even adding tests.
          Actually I don't regret for one minute writing PTS in PHP. PHP has also worked out extremely well in porting to other OSes. How would have adding tests been any easier? Though yes, the GUI would have been much easier in another language.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Actually I don't regret for one minute writing PTS in PHP. PHP has also worked out extremely well in porting to other OSes. How would have adding tests been any easier? Though yes, the GUI would have been much easier in another language.
            The same way I'm adding profiles to my rudimentary kommander script for the tests, enter your test command, save test profile, shell out to cli, run profiles test command, write results to file, read file for results. A dependency list is also easy enough to store in a human readable and editable form using a plain text box which calls upon that dependency list on the detected or picked OS.

PTS is for the most part just a collection of shell commands for the various apps that are easily enough stored in plain text files. Doing it in a C or C++ would allow simple binary packages that are not heavily dependent on a PHP install with all the needed modules.

Comment

Just a quick update, I got PHP-GTK installed on Ubuntu 10.04 and giving a few feedback results to Micheal to get the gui in a state where the latest git can have gui driven test results.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
                Just a quick update, I got PHP-GTK installed on Ubuntu 10.04...
                Could you be talked into writing a short How-To on that? I could only make the GUI work on previous versions of Ubuntu and would like some pointers!

Comment

Originally posted by anbog View Post
                  Could you be talked into writing a short How-To on that? I could only make the GUI work on previous versions of Ubuntu and would like some pointers!
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Why doesn't anybody simply use the openSUSE build service to create the packages? It's fully capable of creating Ubuntu packages.

Comment

Ahh, nice news that I missed while on vacation.. this is what a lack of internet access will do to you - make you look stupid!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Comment

Working...
                      X