Other Operating Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Operating Systems

I recently loaded up Minix 3 in Qemu. It isn't exactly user friendly, but it works. From what I understand, it does seem to have some benefits.

I was wondering if there was any way you could validate or invalidate some of the claims regarding the different alternative OSes out there.

I would love to see how Minix, Plan 9, and HURD stack up against each other and against Linux or BSD.

You could time some gcc compilations, and perhaps find a way to test the stability if that's possible.

Would make for some excellent flame wars, and probably drive site traffic for a long time to come.

Amazng! I was just about to come and write this same as a review suggestion.
    Have a minor OS smackdown: benchmark Haiku vs. ReactOS vs. Minix 3 vs. Plan 9 vs. Debian/HURD vs. Debian/Linux.

I'd love to see it, since all of those aforementioned ones claim to be better than anything else on the market. Some 7zip compression tests should be doable, at least.

Comment

Also would be cool to see if Longene has any benefits over regular Linux + Wine

Comment

HURD is slower. That's a nobrainer.
        Plan 9 isn't exactly intended for end use.
        Mimix 3 is just a featureles fun project.
        ReactOS versus Windows would be interesting
        Haiku is fast at what it does, but how fast ported apps would run would be more interesting considering that it's not of much use for end users without them.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          HURD is slower. That's a nobrainer.
          Plan 9 isn't exactly intended for end use.
          Mimix 3 is just a featureles fun project.
          ReactOS versus Windows would be interesting
          Haiku is fast at what it does, but how fast ported apps would run would be more interesting considering that it's not of much use for end users without them.
          I thinkz that Haiku would PWNZ all of them. You know, HURD is really just the name for what you need to do with all the running servers. Microkernels... :P I would like to see benchmarks for all of them though... I guess, first, Plan 9 needs an actual benchmark writen for it.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            I thinkz that Haiku would PWNZ all of them.
            'n shit yo.

You know, HURD is really just the name for what you need to do with all the running servers. Microkernels... :P
            Mimix is also a microkernel.

I would like to see benchmarks for all of them though...
            Why exactly? So the Mimix team can flamewar the HURD team? Mimix an Plan 9 are totaly useless. Haiku is fast as hell (just run the Alpha if [if our hardware will let you]), but all the speed is in the API's aka kits, so no optimizations regarding running KDE4 apps for example.

ReactOS would be interesting to benchmark to see if it can kick the living hell out of Windows at what it currently can. Because points like these are what ReactOS need to convince Windows users to make the jump to their version of NT.

HURD has a tiny tiny tiny tiiiiiny small chance of still making it, so to see if the microkernel is still so freaking slow on multicore CPU's is realy interesting to know (maybe it's even faster? )

I guess, first, Plan 9 needs an actual benchmark writen for it.
            Files are sooooo 60's. Plan 9 is t3h future and you know it! Writing to local storage? C''''''''mooooon xD

Comment

If Phoronix reviews other OSes it will be new ground for the trolls here to descend on.
              I like the guy who intentionally misspells BSD as "BSE" every time.

Comment

In case anyone had bought into those nasty rumors...

Businessweek reports that the HP Contractor didn't have sex with HURD.

Comment

Well if we're talking performance then I would think Linux would slaughter Minix in the vast majority of benchmarks since microkernels generally don't perform nearly as well as monolithic kernels, on the flip side they have the advantage of keeping the system running and stable if a driver bombs out.

Same goes for HURD with the caveat that I consider HURD to be vaporware and nothing more. Then again I could be wrong... I'll check back in 15 years and see if they've made any progress.

Never ran Plan 9 so I can't comment on that.

Comment

In these exciting times, during which Ingo Weinhold is making great progress with some performance optimizations in the Haiku kernel, I felt this strong urge to conduct some benchmark results, even if that caused me great deal of pain in setting up …

There are some pretty good benchmarks to chew on.... note that at this point Haiku may be even faster

Comment

Working...
                    X