Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Puts Out Two Drivers, Including For OpenGL 4.1

Phoronix: NVIDIA Puts Out Two Drivers, Including For OpenGL 4.1

While there's very few people that NVIDIA's dead open-source driver update helps out, NVIDIA has released two new binary Linux driver updates. The NVIDIA 256.44 pre-release driver adds in support for some new GeForce and Quadro GPUs along with introduces some "Fermi" (GeForce GTX 400 series) stability fixes while the NVIDIA 256.38.02 Linux driver introduces initial OpenGL 4.1 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    no one uses GGL3.0 or 3.1 or 3.2 or 3.3 or 4.0 ...
    I think if these standards will be available earlier then we will be using them sooner than latter and that's all.

Comment

An upcoming game from Unigine and Primal Carnage uses OpenGL 4.0 and 3.2, and Wine uses OpenGL 3.x.

We need new specifications and driver features for new hardware early because it takes a while to add support in games, usually up to several years on large projects.

Most games today use DirectX 9, and we are just starting to see good DirectX 10 games.

As a developer myself, I really like the way nVidia always adds stable drivers with the new specifications.

Comment

I agree that OGL 4.1 is a bit useless right now. But I'd like to point out that AMD's driver takes longer than NVidia's to fully support new OGL versions because they're testing it more thoroughly so that it always has 101% more awesome in it, ya know.

Comment

AMD beat Nvidia to OpenGL 4.0, actually.

But this is all for bragging rights anyway, it's not terribly important if one of them is 2 weeks faster with OpenGL 4.

Comment

It is high time they added randr 1.2 support. I am tired of using nvidia-settings each time to set up twin-view on an external display connected to my notebook. Plus it gives a single desktop of a large resolution spanned over two displays, and not two separate desktops.

What is more surprising is that the open source Nouveau driver does randr like a champ. Aside, I am actually at an awe at the efforts of the Nouveau developers . Last time, I was able to use compositing and 3d effects in kde/kwin with the nouveau (gallium 3d) driver. Plus kms was also awesome - although I don't use text mode terminals. There are essentially two things that I need now from Nouveau - some basic power management to keep the gpu reasonably cool and some support for openCL. (Hopefully I will have some time to have a crack at openCL after I am done with university.) For now, sticking to the otherwise awesome proprietary nvidia drivers which offer unparalleled 3d and 2d performance, vdpau playback, power management, cuda and opencl, active support for new kernels and xorg, somewhat decent twinview support and lastly, great stability . (This is on Asus g50vt notebook with Geforce 9800M GS and running Gentoo GNU/Linux.)

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              AMD beat Nvidia to OpenGL 4.0, actually.

But this is all for bragging rights anyway, it's not terribly important if one of them is 2 weeks faster with OpenGL 4.
              Actually, that's not true. AMD released the first driver wich claimed to support OpenGL 4.0, but they needed two more releases before things actually worked. nVidia was the first to release OpenGL 4.0 support and exceeds AMD's performance by far.

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post
                It is high time they added randr 1.2 support. I am tired of using nvidia-settings each time to set up twin-view on an external display connected to my notebook.
                Yeah, that's one of the things I'm really missing in NVidia's driver.

Plus it gives a single desktop of a large resolution spanned over two displays, and not two separate desktops.
                randr (1.2) offers exactly the same functionality as TwinView though...
                It is possible to configure the driver for two completely separate screens ("zaphod mode"), but interaction between these screens is very limited. It probably isn't what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  how cares about ogl4.1 ? ? ?

no one uses GGL3.0 or 3.1 or 3.2 or 3.3 or 4.0 ...

and no i don't care about a demo/benchmark like unigine..
                  Lol Q! Nvidia releases some beta drivers and you find a way to troll on in...

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                    Yeah, that's one of the things I'm really missing in NVidia's driver.

randr (1.2) offers exactly the same functionality as TwinView though...
                    It is possible to configure the driver for two completely separate screens ("zaphod mode"), but interaction between these screens is very limited. It probably isn't what you want.
                    True, I don't want two independent screens. (I didn't know it is called "zaphod".) I want two screens in the sense that they are treated like virtual desktops. Most importantly, when I maximize a window or go fullscreen, it should only cover one screen. Right now, it thinks of both desktops as a single screen and occupies both of them (and is split over both screens). Equally annoying for the same reason are windows opening at the center of the two screens, split over both of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X