Illumos: Aug. 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumos: Aug. 3

A number of the community leaders from the OpenSolaris community have been working quietly together on a new effort called Illumos, and we're just about ready to fully disclose our work to, and invite the general participation of, the general public.

We believe that everyone who is interested in OpenSolaris should be interested in what we have to say, and so we invite the entire OpenSolaris community to join us for a presentation on at 1PM EDT on August 3, 2010.

You can find out the full details of how to listen in to our conference, or attend in person (we will be announcing from New York City) by visiting http://www.illumos.org/announce (The final details shall be posted there not later than 1PM EDT Aug 1, 2010.)

We look forward to seeing you there!

- Garrett D'Amore & the rest of the Illumos Cast
    A number of the community leaders from the OpenSolaris community have been working quietly together on a new effort called Illumos , and we...

Sounds intriguing.

I'm sure kraftroll/energytroll will find some reason this is bad.

Comment

The project leaders listed on the site are the Nexenta guys. I guess, if someone starts a community distro, this is currently the best way how.

Of course, this'll only work as long as Oracle keeps Solaris open source. Once it stops committing to a public repository, they'll also be out of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomservo View Post
        Of course, this'll only work as long as Oracle keeps Solaris open source. Once it stops committing to a public repository, they'll also be out of luck.
        This is what worries me about a fork right now: if the decision by Oracle to continue supporting Solaris as an open-source operating system is in the balance, would the idea of numerous (probably 'key') OpenSolaris developers forking the code to form a new project, come down on the side of continuing to support such things? I could easily imagine it being construed as a 'lack of controlling interest', before they've even made a solid (read: public) decision on the matter.

I guess we wait.

Comment

If numerous key developers have made the decision to fork I guess they know something we don't.

But yes, let's just wait.

Comment

Announcement is basically done - IllumOS will be a base for others to build on, it will not be a distribution. Nexenta is planning to transition to IllumOS as the base for their distribution.

Slides are here: http://www.illumos.org/attachments/d.../3/illumos.pdf

No transcript yet, sorry.

Comment

I'm really hoping that this goes well and that Oracle do join the board, or at least register an interest, but then I've always been an optimist.

It'd be nice to see a "Solaris" Distribution based on it though, I'm kinda hacked off with Nexenta since it blew up my speakers on install ... (thank heavens for Dell warranties, and engineers not asking too many questions) ... I don't want GNU Solaris, I want Solaris that has Wireless and Bluetooth and better miscellaneous hardware support ...

Hmm ... basically I want Solaris 10 with OpenSolaris drivers and the bugs fixed

Comment

Originally posted by jadrevenge View Post
                I'm really hoping that this goes well and that Oracle do join the board, or at least register an interest, but then I've always been an optimist.

It'd be nice to see a "Solaris" Distribution based on it though, I'm kinda hacked off with Nexenta since it blew up my speakers on install ... (thank heavens for Dell warranties, and engineers not asking too many questions) ... I don't want GNU Solaris, I want Solaris that has Wireless and Bluetooth and better miscellaneous hardware support ...

I just want the people at Oracle to step into high gear, and actually do something. I think properly managed Oracle could do a much better job than any fork. Really, all I want to see is an actual release.

Comment

Originally posted by jadrevenge View Post

According to Garrett D'Amore (project lead Illumos) a project that will basically replicate the function of the OpenSolaris distribution ('Indiana') but with Illumos as its basis is already underway although not quite ready for announcement yet.

So we're in luck

I agree with LinuxID10T but things are looking mighty bleak right now. I'm glad others are stepping up before it is too late.

Comment

Originally posted by joffe View Post
                    ... I agree with LinuxID10T but things are looking mighty bleak right now. I'm glad others are stepping up before it is too late.
                    Another bleakness ... sun seem to have pulled free access to sunstudio.

I still have it because I had it downloaded and I have access to a paid for Solaris subscription ... but I'm guess Illumos have quite a lot more work to do suddenly.

Comment

Working...
                    X