God gives you $20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God gives you $20

Many moons ago i started a thread asking people what a good open source project would be to donate to. The reason I did this is because it helped me identify projects that could use a few bucks.

When a small time open source project recives a little money, it is not a game changer. It may, hopefully, encourage the developers to keep developing. The feeling recived when someone truly supports what you work on is like none other. Maybe that $5 goes towards keeping the website up... maybe it buys a coffee... What can be certain is that the dev, who is esentially volunteering his/her time, can feel wanted.

So every few weeks I donate some money. And once again i am asking phoronix to help identify some open projects that are worthy and deserving of some happy cash.

RULES:

- The project must be FOSS. Last time i said FSF licences only, now BSD,ZLIB,APACHE, w.e licences are also allowed.
    - The project must not be for-profit.
    - The software can not be your own or a friends.
    - Cannot have development funded by a company.
    - must be active

I will fork over $20 this time around. it may or may not be split into 2 donations. Hopefully this time we can identify some great projects once again. As always i will encourage readers who dont already donate to do so. No matter how big or how small the amount its the thought that counts.

This is correct idea and very polished rules. However single thread on single site is has not correct impact.

This should be a website, where you can select a project and put money on the feature you want, together with others. And group that implements the feature gets the money, after QA check. Once feature is implemented everyone else is FREE to use it.

THIS would be correct to GPL, IMHO.

Comment

Sorry for a bit offtopic, but I had to say it. Im sorry. I will not offtopic anymore

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
        This is correct idea and very polished rules. However single thread on single site is has not correct impact.

This should be a website, where you can select a project and put money on the feature you want, together with others. And group that implements the feature gets the money, after QA check. Once feature is implemented everyone else is FREE to use it.

THIS would be correct to GPL, IMHO.
        an interesting concept. i have had a similar idea myself before. But then the idea of free giving hits the floor as you are essentially bidding for features. The idea is still solid though and i might play with it in my mind.

Comment

I think the Haiku project would be excellent. It is an alternative alternative operating system. It seems they pretty much always need money, and when they get enough they hire a full-time developer.

Comment

An idea:
            Go to http://www.kickstarter.com/ and get interesting new projects [like Diaspora] going.

Comment

thats getting people who do nothing to do something, not getting people who do something to keep doing a good job.

Comment

hi there,V!NCENT this site awe....some man....thanks

Comment

Working...
                X