ATI R600g Gains Mip-Map, Face Culling Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tball View Post
    Well what about getting ideas from it then?
    First I would kindly ask the original authors if you can get their code under a Mesa-compatible license (MIT/BSD/X11/you name it). That's the simplest thing you can do and the least time consuming in the end. I believe they will be interested in GPU-accelerated video decoding.

Comment

• Originally posted by monraaf View Post
      That's what some BSD people do. They scrounge GPL'd Linux kernel code for 'inspiration' and 'ideas' and then try to obfuscate it by renaming variables and rearranging code. Sometimes they are a little bit careless and this results in blatant copyright infringement.

gmane.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gmane.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Funny, it's also what some Linux people do. They scourge BSD code for inspiration and ideas and then blatantly violate the license by removing the text of the license... Despite the fact that they could have just legally used the code if they had kept the license in place:

Adam

Comment

• I have written an email to the author, kindly asking him to re-release the source-code under a MIT license. It is his libmpeg2 project I want to be MIT licensed:

If I can't get it under a MIT, I won't be releasing my current vdpau implementation. I would have to redo too much work writing a bitstream parser from the scratch. My summer vacation is ending soon unfortunately and probably won't have much time spending on the backend.

Comment

• You don't need the whole library (he probably won't agree to that), you only need the parts that you have used to be dual-licensed. That is more likely to work.

Comment

• In the worst case, you can still make your library standalone and make Mesa load it when available.

Comment

• Why does intel bother close sourcing their drivers anyway? Its not like anyone buy's intel hardware for graphics performance right?

Comment

• Originally posted by dacresbu View Post
                Why does intel bother close sourcing their drivers anyway? Its not like anyone buy's intel hardware for graphics performance right?
                In the case of the GMA500, the 3D hardware is licensed from another company so it's not theirs to release.

Comment

• Originally posted by adamk View Post
                  Funny, it's also what some Linux people do. They scourge BSD code for inspiration and ideas
                  LOL. Do you really believe that. I know for a fact that a lot of FreeBSD people are drooling over Linux USB, sound and other hardware support. But I can't think of anything special that FreeBSD has to offer.

and then blatantly violate the license by removing the text of the license... Despite the fact that they could have just legally used the code if they had kept the license in place:

Adam
                  Ehh no. Someone posted a patch to lkml to remove the copyright notice in question but the patch was never applied; hence there was never a violation of the license, despite the drama the BSD people wanted to create about this.

Comment

• Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                    But I can't think of anything special that FreeBSD has to offer.
                    Sane licensing.

/ducks

Comment

• Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      In the case of the GMA500, the 3D hardware is licensed from another company so it's not theirs to release.
                      Of course that doesn't explain why they don't release a decent 2D driver...

No, one doesn't buy a notebook with the GMA500 for the performance, but for a small, low power solution. I have very specific needs for my notebook and I know of only one single line that fits somewhat, and it runs a GMA500. The Windwos drivers also crap, BTW.

I have a little hope that maybe with APUs, the GMA500 would become obsolete, but unfortunately I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X