KDE SC 4.7 May Utilize OpenGL 3.x For Compositing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post

Also, I'm using a black color scheme in KDE which works great, except some browsers like Firefox and Konqueror (IIRC) use my black theme to color text fields and buttons black, and if there is no explicit background color on a page it makes the background black. It's really annoying, but Chrome doesn't do that.

I really hate that. Some other apps. also do it (some OpenOffice components for example). It also happens under GNOME though to some extent, so I guess it's more the fault of the particular app. rather than the DE. It's very annoying since I tend to like dark color themes, only latter to find out that some of my favorite apps. end up looking like crap and unusable because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
      Also, I'm using a black color scheme in KDE which works great, except some browsers like Firefox and Konqueror (IIRC) use my black theme to color text fields and buttons black, and if there is no explicit background color on a page it makes the background black. It's really annoying, but Chrome doesn't do that.
      Me three. It's one of the reasons that keeps me from using Opera 10.50+.

Comment

Originally posted by Koorac View Post
        That's exactly what I'm doing
        Haha, right!

@Phoen1x

Default ubuntu gnome is not default gnome from source. I tried to use kde 4.2 or 4.3 can't remember the version now. Whole gui is so damn ugly.
        Default gnome looks like crap. KDE could improve application look like some people sugested in other threads, but overall, it looks whole better then others in my opinion. I love icons, desktop, wallpapers, theme. Masterpiece ;P

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
          Amature looking gui is ahead osx?
          ROFL, excuse me? You know, ever loocked at the stacks in OS X? Realy... bending to the right/left? Mirrored docky? Compare iTunes to QuickTime X. Totally different window borders?

Give me fscking break. Even Windows 7's GUI is more advanced then OS X. Give me a fscking break!

Technology might be not bad, but the look of kde stuff is so damn ugly, they should hire REAL designers.
          I am just going to put three screenshots in here and let them speak for themselves, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            With KDE SC 4.7 is where we're looking at the KDE world to potentially begin tapping OpenGL 3.0 for a better compositing experience...
            Hahaha, this is going to be fun. There already quite a lot of people having problems with KDE and their their graphics drivers, there have even been accusations of driver developers not caring about KDE. But now the KDE devs want to add even more bling-bling.

I can see a storm flood of bug reports coming in. Glad I'm not a driver dev. OTOH I would just do a NEW -> RESOLVED NOTOURBUG

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
              Hahaha, this is going to be fun. There already quite a lot of people having problems with KDE and their their graphics drivers, there have even been accusations of driver developers not caring about KDE. But now the KDE devs want to add even more bling-bling.

I can see a storm flood of bug reports coming in. Glad I'm not a driver dev. OTOH I would just do a NEW -> RESOLVED NOTOURBUG
              KDE just wants to push ahead. The simple fact is that we are currently at OpenGL 4.1, OK? OpenGL 3.0 was released July 11 2008. That's a little more than 2 years ago.

If KDE wasn't going to switch to OpenGL 3.0 (don't forget the 2.1 fallback?) then people would be "Ah who cares nobody needs OpenGL 3.x anyway".

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                Hahaha, this is going to be fun. There already quite a lot of people having problems with KDE and their their graphics drivers
                You're talking about Nvidia drivers, no need to beat around the bush.

And these things are OK as long as there are reasonable fallbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  ROFL, excuse me? You know, ever loocked at the stacks in OS X? Realy... bending to the right/left? Mirrored docky? Compare iTunes to QuickTime X. Totally different window borders?

Give me fscking break. Even Windows 7's GUI is more advanced then OS X. Give me a fscking break!
                  Hahahah first of all it's not even osx screenshot, it's windows with lame osx "skin". Windows7 buy default look better. Gnome 3 is not even out yet and u picked oldest and ugliest screenshot? And kde still looks shitty. About docky stuff u should read phoronix article about glx-dock, lol that dock looks like shit from stone age compared to osx dock.

Comment

It's hard to argue with such strong logical arguments.

Comment

Beauty in the eye of the beholder...
                      Anyway, this thread was kind of interesting before it got overrun by "my desktop > yours" stuff. Keep on beating that dead horse!

Comment

Working...
                      X