No announcement yet.

KDE SC 4.7 May Utilize OpenGL 3.x For Compositing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or: Qts Xrender implementation follows the spec and Intel and Nvidia are broken.

Comment

Of course it follows the spec, but it doesn't mean it does so in a way that makes sense and is able to perform well given current GPU hardware. See http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-7255 for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsiolkovsky View Post
        So I guess this means that if the driver doesn't handle it the current (legacy) mode will be used. And if even this isn't posible there is still XRender mode I guess.
        Also afaik VBO's are a pretty common extension even if the drivers don't have a full OpenGL 3.0 implementation. So this shouldn't be an issue, I think...

Comment

VBO = OpenGL 1.5
          FBO = OpenGL 3.0

Comment

So assuming VBO's are really all that's needed, I'd assume classic Mesa drivers with KMS are sufficient Right Now (tm) since they advertise GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              VBO = OpenGL 1.5
              FBO = OpenGL 3.0
              Yeah, and the KDE developer was talking of VBO's, not FBO's.

Comment

As you might know OpenGL comes in two flavors: fixed functionality and programmable pipeline. With the fixed functionality you have to use API calls to influence the execution of each stage of the …

Comment

Working...
                X