Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: R800 3D mesa driver is shortly before release

Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    Even the people that CAN do that usually are going to want to do other things with their time given the choice... like go to the beach, get laid, or enjoy a hobby that doesn't lead to RSI.
    How about setting it up and going to the beach, doing a hobby and get laid afterwards while your kernel compiles?

Normal users do not do that, should not need to do that, and largely don't have the skill to do that.
    What are you talking about?

Doing this is not more difficult than installing a binary blob. Just install three packages from your distro's package repository.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    What are you talking about?

Doing this is not more difficult than installing a binary blob. Just install three packages from your distro's package repository.
    yes install an fglrx and makes sure all works fine is much more 'skill' and work than adding an PPA to your software sources and make an dist-upgrade

I meant this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    smitty3268:"Is that a promise? That leaves about a month and a half left to release it."[...]

Bridgman: "It's not a promise, but I think we're pretty close."
    ... not this one...

smitty3268:"[...]Do you have any idea about how long we'll have to wait for Fusion? It's supposed to be coming out around Sept. isn't it?"

Bridgman: "It's not a promise, but I think we're pretty close."
    Should be Q3 for initial Evergreen support (expect bugs), no comment re: Fusion hardware or driver support.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I meant this one...
    ... not this one..
    Should be Q3 for initial Evergreen support (expect bugs), no comment re: Fusion hardware or driver support.
    I read thinks differently you know?

Example: you say the main function of the opensource driver in amd point of view is to make the driver ready for the 'fusion' chip

And its a mater of fact that the fusion chip is an K10.5 based cpu +R800Shader based GPU

and o wow Q3 for evergR800n support means fusionR800Shader support.

in my point of view the eng-sample chips are already out there and now the driver shows to be ready to. means the Fusion Notebooks will be Selled in Q4 and the opensource driver for fusion will be ready in Q4

informations are linked, they are never alone.

Sure, but I wrote it, and I know what I was thinking

Remember that the Fusion parts are different at the low level from anything we have shipped before -- they're not discrete GPUs with their own video memory, and they're not IGPs going out over a HyperTransport link to access memory. That's going to take some development work still...

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Sure, but I wrote it, and I know what I was thinking

Remember that the Fusion parts are different at the low level from anything we have shipped before -- they're not discrete GPUs with their own video memory, and they're not IGPs going out over a HyperTransport link to access memory. That's going to take some development work still...
    ... Bridgman-"and they're not IGPs going out over a HyperTransport link to access memory."

maybe my english fails here but be sure fusion gpu+cpu access to the memory by a HyperTransport link...

i think you think the right but you typed the wrong words.

the right words in your opinion are: the cpu does not need to go over a hyperlink to access the GPU shader units. and the GPU uses the same Hypertransportlink as the cpu to access to the RAM memory.

"Sure, but I wrote it, and I know what I was thinking "

and sometimes not ;-)
    like the UVD unit in the hd2900 and now a hyperlink free version of fusion to NOT access the memory.

i think you are revised and you need a break.

"That's going to take some development work still."

yes.... pci,agp,pcie and now "i don't know the name of the inner core K10 bus system "

yes sometimes then work need more time.

Are you sure about that? I think that AMD cpu-s(thus Fusion) do NOT access RAM through HT, but they actually have a own memory controller.
    HT is used for peripherals, and nearby CPU linkage.
    I think you need a break, man

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Are you sure about that? I think that AMD cpu-s(thus Fusion) do NOT access RAM through HT, but they actually have a own memory controller.
    HT is used for peripherals, and nearby CPU linkage.
    I think you need a break, man
    yes i'm sure all k10/k10.5 CPU's use a ht-link in there memory controller.

and the Fusion chip is a k10,5 based cpu

the htlink Technic is used to reduce the need's of Pins..

the Opteron 6000 do have more than 1900 pins without a GPU and the FS1 do have 10% more pins than an am3 socket

bridgman just points something about my writing in the past and maybe i was wrong in the past wenn i talk about htlink based dogging of the gpu to the cpu.

the Opteron 6000 do have more than 1900 pins without a GPU and the FS1 do have 10% more pins than an am3 socket
    Opteron 6000, has 4 HT links, and 4 DDR3 memory controllers.
    AM3, has 1 HT link, and 2 DDR3 controllers.