Catalyst 10.7 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning: Woeful whining (wearisome)

I don't even get a black window... I just get a total freeze up. The screen tends to get diagonal tears (~30 deg off horizontal w/ green or pink pixels) in a checkerboard across the screen (sometimes there aren't even tears warning me of what just happened). Mouse movement is operational up to a point. Most of the time it freezes up with the next mouse click but allows me to switch to a TTY terminal via the keyboard; however, recently I've simply lost all ability to do anything but stare at an eerily frozen screen after ANY interaction (save for the mouse movement available before any other form of keyboard/mouse interaction) during the tears. This occurs almost at random, but with higher frequency at higher resolutions, and I'm pretty sure only when I run my browsers or, most recently, the SDL-based-game Abuse (just some subjective observations).

This tends to happen with either Chrome or Firefox running, and I'm starting to think that it possibly has something to do with flash more than the actual browser.

Xorg logs point at segfaults within the fglrx driver having something to do with RandR and suspend state and something or another. I can provide it if anyone's interested?

Also, resizing to larger resolutions results in the new real-estate being totally pixelated and tiled up in black/white/colorful-lsd-induced-colors. I can still interact with the screen however (even under the mask of colored craziness, input seems to work).

System specs in case anyone cares (also because the ATI bugzilla still doesn't have 10.7 up as an option for reporting, so I might as well here...):

Mobo: MSI 890FXA-GD70
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6
    GPU: 2x ATI Radeon HD 5970 (not crossfired for future OpenCL purposes)
    PSU: 1200 Watts (hellz yes.)
    Using one screen on the DVI output of one card.
    ^ And that's all that matters in this case (haha - pun), really, yes?

This'd all work in Windows, though, probably, right...? I really don't want to resort to using it, but if that's what it takes to make it *work* (with OpenCL mind you)...

Heck, if all I get is a black window bug, I'll be happy... I just wanna program the darned thing and have it run a long simulation without intermittently going caput. >_<

Things I'm gonna try (not necessarily in this order):
    ~ uninstall flash and navigate the web with firefox & chrome to see if it crashes (see if flash does something weird to trigger it)
    ~ crossfire both cards
    ~ disconnect one of the cards (try with both of em' individually)
    ~ disconnect the wireless card (which I had problems with before in weird conflicting ways with the graphics card during installation - can give limited details if wanted)
    ~ *wait for possibly positive forum response*
    ~ start using the OSS drivers when they're available, assuming they support OpenCL...
    ~ resort to M$ Windoze... *sigh*

Any advice? (Should I have made this a separate topic?)

~ Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by albatorsk View Post
      Oh, purging the old packages before installing the new ones, instead of just upgrading, did the trick. I wonder why that's changed.
      Could anyone help me on the command to purge old packages?

I ran fglrx-uninstall.shand re-install 10.7 several times and is still unable to change it from 10.6 to 10.7.

Comment

I do this in single user mode..

run fglrx-uninstall
        remove everything in /etc/ati
        install fglrx
        aticonfig --initial -f

I think your problem is solved by removing everything in /etc/ati before new install.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
          Also, VAAPI is not working with radeon hd5000 series video cards:
          Nobody said this would be fixed in that version, if ever... Only Q lives in Dreams land.

Comment

Apparently, this driver has the same problem as 10.6 with the power savings. The clocks are throttled up way too much, even if just idling on desktop with 0% usage, the clocks spend half the time at 100%.

Is there some official reason for this? I think I'll have to revert back to 10.5 again. Card is HD 5770.

Comment

The 3-D building click in googleearth is fixed too.

It seems like a little thing but when you're recording mythbusters on mythtv and just before Kari comes on, you accidentally click on a Wal*Mart Stuporcenter and your whole system locks, it can be a little frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                well nice.. but the world domination is the 10-8 ;-)

stay tuned
                No problem, I own a nvidia card as well

Comment

Anyone else having an issue where X never loads?
                  Running OpenSuSE 11.1
                  I ran fglrx-uninstall.sh
                  Installed by running the *.bin file right from ATI (what I've done for years without any issues).
                  I did an "aticonfig --initial -f"
                  Went back into my user account and did "startx".
                  Screen just sits there with a text cursor in the top left. (it does this all the time, but after a second it goes to all black, then the mouse cursor appears, then the desktop)
                  I get no errors in the log, however it just stops right after "(II) fglrx(0): === [atiddxPreInit] === begin"

Not really a big issue since 10.6 doesn't bother me much (only real issue with that is the black box with firefox). Mainly wanted to see if 10.7 fixed my messed up text with Alien Swarm, which is unlikely... that's probably a wine/crossovergames issue.

Comment

You did not unload fglrx module. Better reboot your way...

Comment

Quitting X doesn't unload fglrx?
                      I've upgraded fglrx dozens of time following the same procedure I did this time without any issue. Also switched from fglrx to radeon then back to fglrx the same way. I also upgraded my x server the same way. The only time I reboot is if I'm upgrading my kernel or something goes terribly wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X