Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compiling and installing linux kernel 2.6.34.1 HELLP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiling and installing linux kernel 2.6.34.1 HELLP!!!

can anyone help me with installing and compiling the latest linux kernel on ubuntu lucid

yes iv been trying to find some info about it yestoday and still no data (i found some stuff but they were outdated). Im doing this because of my graphic card that i bougth last week and trying to install it...

the graphic card is ATI Sapphire 5830 and as i read on the phorum it requires the ATI evergreen open-source drivers

bad news for >>>ME<<<

I NEED THE NEW KERNEL :O

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are no open source drivers for Evergreen. Well, the kernel supports the basic operations and the card will work (and there is modesetting and powersaving using the 2.6.35 kernel), but everything will be unaccelerated and thus slow.

The first thing you should try is to use a package with a precompiled kernel. This is what I found with a quick google, I can't vouch for it:

Compiling a kernel is not trivial, especially the first time. You likely don't want to do it until you get some more experience.

Comment

Another option would be to use the binary driver until a more recent kernel becomes available for your distribution. The binary driver should support your card fully.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          Another option would be to use the binary driver until a more recent kernel becomes available for your distribution. The binary driver should support your card fully.
          when you say binary drivers

do you mean by "PPA from ubuntu" servers

i can only say that there publishes of the kernel are too erly and i dont think that they support my card

PS: im trying the blackjack solution and thanks

Comment

I'm talking about the official binary drivers (fglrx) made by ATi.

I don't know where they are in Ubuntu, but there must be an easy way to install them.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              I'm talking about the official binary drivers (fglrx) made by ATi.

I don't know where they are in Ubuntu, but there must be an easy way to install them.

yes i know and about the ubuntu

and i think this was based on the unsable version of the kernel and i dont think its going to support my card :S

PS:i tested the blackjack kernel and it only pulled me a tarball from that .deb (and his command didn't work :S)

Comment

Working...
              X