No announcement yet.

ATI dropped the ball again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panix, I really think that you should not use ATi stuff and only ever use Nvidia for everything.

This is what you want, this is what you've been convincing everybody to do for months now, and this is what you had decided long time before you had even owned an ATi card.

What the hell is Lubuntu anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      Panix, I really think that you should not use ATi stuff and only ever use Nvidia for everything.

This is what you want, this is what you've been convincing everybody to do for months now, and this is what you had decided long time before you had even owned an ATi card.

It is the LXDE version of Ubuntu. They are not official yet, but they hope to be like Xubuntu in this respect.

Comment

the OSS drivers lack good power management.
        Not anymore, with the latest kernel, you get great savings, as both voltage and clock frequency are scaled.

FGLRX is probably still more efficient, but the oss drivers do not burn your card at full blast anymore. I've measured considerable drops in temperature with a recent kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
          Darn right!
          Here is a list of things they are guilty of:
          • Making blazing fast GPUs
          • Using less power than the comparable Nvidia card
          • Providing driver updates every month
          • Creating sub-egg-cooking temperatures
          • Beating everyone to the OGL 4/DX 11 market by a mile
          • Being able to drive more than 2 monitors with a single video card
          • General amazingness
          Was being sarcastic Bro, but yeah, people always like to bitch at ATI for some reason.

Not anymore, with the latest kernel, you get great savings, as both voltage and clock frequency are scaled.

FGLRX is probably still more efficient, but the oss drivers do not burn your card at full blast anymore. I've measured considerable drops in temperature with a recent kernel.
          I only got some old pre-r5xx chips to test, and with those dynamic PM is largely unusable due to it causing kernel hard locks. Being able to use the power profiles is useful though, since my laptops no longer catch on fire because of it.

Comment

Dynpm is stable here, but not mature enough due to flicker and other issues.

But profiles are a welcome addition.

Comment

Unfortunately without a working dynpm it's just useless crap
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Look it up.

I'll switch to Nvidia when you solder a Nvidia card in my (ATI-equipped) laptop. I hope you are good at it.

Comment

After messing around with KMS and this ATI-equipped laptop, I can say I'll be avoiding any kind of ATI card from now on. Only because I might have to get a cheap laptop and settle on whatever is available (would it be with ATI).

I won't be buying any ATI card for my desktop as long as I use Linux with it, that's for sure!

ATI SUCKS!

I believe I disabled KMS but dmesg | grep drm seemed to show it was still enabled. Later, I tried another command (Kano's) and now maybe it isn't?

ATI doesn't support Linux, bottom line. A crappy open source driver they don't support when the card gets too old for them to the binary driver that is constantly broken or devoid of features to bugs that seem to be continue to the next release... etc. etc. ATI is in Mikey$oft's bed, period. I guess others get fooled.

Comment

Disabling KMS doesn't make drm go away; drm just starts up when X initializes DRI rather than at boot time.

You didn't mention what problem you were trying to solve by disabling KMS - is it in another thread or something ?
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      Well, Ubuntu claims to "just work", so they should have disabled KMS by default on chips that don't work with it. I guess that means you should report it to the Ubuntu bug tracker.
                      I wouldn't recommend disabling KMS in Ubuntu

Binary package hint: libdrm-radeon1 Hi, When I disable KMS Xorg's memory usage raises up to 165MB! It usually doesn't get lower after closing running applications. I suppose it can be memory leak in the libdrm-radeon1 package, because when I enable KMS (so libdrm2 is used) Xorg memory usage is normal - less then 50MB and it gets lower when I close running applications. I have a Radeon X1600XT card and I am using Kubuntu Lucid and have Kwin effects enabled. ProblemType: Bug DistroRelease: U...

However, I guess a leaking system is better then not working one (but then, any other system is probably better then leaking one). This and some other important bugs make me feel Canonical doesn't care about resolving them at all. It's usually enough to upgrade to newer versions...

Comment

Working...
                      X