ATI dropped the ball again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI dropped the ball again

I installed Lubuntu on my laptop that has an ATI RV250 card. But, there's video driver issues. I now understand that I need to disable KMS. I don't know how to do this so now I need to research/google. Thanks.

Once again, the problem is related to OSS drivers and some version of *Ubuntu. Yeah, so great that the ATI OSS and Ubuntu (oh, it's just fglrx that they care about working?) is on top of things.

Well, Ubuntu claims to "just work", so they should have disabled KMS by default on chips that don't work with it. I guess that means you should report it to the Ubuntu bug tracker.

But since you're using a laptop, I'd say your best bet is fglrx for increased battery life; the OSS drivers lack good power management.

As for the actual question, KMS is disabled by passing the "modeset=0" option to the radeon kernel module. I've built my own kernel with the radeon driver built-in and have it disabled by default, but I guess you're using the distro kernel. In that case, try looking in /etc/modprobe.d/ for a file called "options". In that file, add this:

options radeon modeset=0

and either just reboot or shutdown X and try:

sudo modprobe -d radeon
    sudo modprobe radeon

and then start X again.

Comment

Well when you add a file to /etc/modprobe.d (you don't need to change an existing file!) you need a .conf ending for it and run

update-initramfs -u

later. as kernel command line it is also possible to add

radeon.modeset=0

Comment

You'd also need to add nomodeset on the grub kernel commandline. That will really suppress KMS at boot

Comment

I thought using grub for that is only for when the driver is compiled-in into the kernel.

Comment

@DeepDayze

With the kernel i tested that option does nothing. For nouveau the option is similar:

nouveau.modeset=0

nomodeset does not help at all.

@RealNC

Test it, it works like that.

Comment

ATI dropped the ball? It sounds like Ubuntu's problem, not ATI's.

Comment

ATI is guilty of everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                  ATI is guilty of everything.
                  Darn right!
                  Here is a list of things they are guilty of:
                  • Making blazing fast GPUs
                  • Using less power than the comparable Nvidia card
                  • Providing driver updates every month
                  • Creating sub-egg-cooking temperatures
                  • Beating everyone to the OGL 4/DX 11 market by a mile
                  • Being able to drive more than 2 monitors with a single video card
                  • General amazingness

Comment

Oh, I forgot their open source efforts. Too bad Nvidia doesn't have ANY. It is just sooooo uncool to release video card programming specifications, don't you think so?

Comment

Working...
                    X