Here's The R600 Gallium3D Driver Running Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    IIRC, AMD is already allocating more devs to Linux drivers than Windows drivers when compared to the corresponding market share.
    Says who? AMD To know that we first have to know how big is Linux market share compared to Windows and how much dev hours they are actually allocating to Linux. The latter is kind of difficult to asses since some (1?) of the devs are not committing to public source code repositories.

In any case AMD is not investing enough in the Linux platform IMO, and for many NVidia will still be the first choice when it comes to graphics solutions. Such a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      Still, the rate of development has slowed down somewhat since the latest batch of power management patches. For example, there has been no news on colour tiling (patches are still not in git). I guess that the Evergreen and r600g transition are soaking up all the available manpower.
      Tiling didn't make it into the kernel in time for 2.6.35. It should be in 2.6.36 when the merge window opens. New mesa and ddx patches are available here for use against drm-radeon-testing which has the latest current tiling patches:

Most of my time lately as been spent fixing regressions in 2.6.35 and working on evergreen support.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
        Says who? AMD To know that we first have to know how big is Linux market share compared to Windows and how much dev hours they are actually allocating to Linux. The latter is kind of difficult to asses since some (1?) of the devs are not committing to public source code repositories.

In any case AMD is not investing enough in the Linux platform IMO, and for many NVidia will still be the first choice when it comes to graphics solutions. Such a shame.
        This whole discussion is irrelevent to the open source stack anyways. We were asked to provide programming information and let the community implement the drivers. We're doing that *and* funding AMD developers to work with the driver development community.

Complaints about fglrx staffing levels should be in the "AMD/ATI Linux" forum
        Test signature

Comment

You know Intel hires quite a bit of devs to work on Linux, not just all directly hardware related. e.g. They are doing some great work on the Clutter toolkit. Did anybody ask them to do so? No. They understand that in order to sell their hardware they gotta have a healthy software ecosystem around it that can turn the dumb hardware into something useful. Similar with Google, also investing in open source technologies without being asked to do so.

Clearly they are seeing investing in open source technologies as something that will be beneficial to them. So why can't AMD see that? You can not make money without investing first.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            You know Intel hires quite a bit of devs to work on Linux, not just all directly hardware related. e.g. They are doing some great work on the Clutter toolkit.
            Things on the Intel side aren't so great. Here at work I have a Lenovo system with an Intel i5, which has an integrated Intel graphics 'accelerator' ... apparently an i965-class chip. Since I got this system, I have been unable to use anything other than the FBDEV driver because using xf86-video-intel and mesa causes hard lockups. See https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28454.

On the other hand, I've always had AMD / ATI products at home, and one thing that's always struck me is that as support for new products arrives, it's rock solid in terms of stability.

Considering the differing market share of AMD vs Intel, I think AMD are doing an amazing job with support for their hardware. Clutter is a nice side project, sure, but unless I can actually use my Intel hardware with 3D support enabled, it's pretty useless.

Comment

dkasak - You may be interested in this https://bugs.launchpad.net/xserver-x...el/+bug/516909

, in particular the info at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Complaints about fglrx staffing levels should be in the "AMD/ATI Linux" forum
                Maybe we need yet another forum for meaningless rants that doesn't end up on Google and has stellar-sized warning labels that information here is likely subjective.

Comment

Jerome Glisse just committed initial texture mapping support for r600g to Git. Doesn't really work right yet, but I guess it's high priority.

Comment

Working...
                  X