Is Linux losing popularity?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

case:

This girl L33F3R is fucking, switched to linux (ubuntu) last year because she got fed up with windows. She aint the brightest cookie in the jar tbh. She loves it. The only thing shes disappointed in is not being able to properly play java games on Facebook. Problem is that shes using the supplied proprietary drivers and not the free ones for her older ATI card. She doesnt know how to change it and shes not worth my time.

But hey, if this cokehead can discover linux all on her own, i extremely doubt there is much of a problem with acknowledgment of the existence of linux.

I do notice several misconceptions about linux. A buddy of mine, former web designer, tried to tell me what linux was. Apparently linux is an operating system, just like windows, and can get all the same viruses. its not any more secure and its slower, According to him (he had no idea iv been using it half my life).

So i think education is at large, missing.

Food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
      You're wrong. It is a barometer. Maybe not the best. But, when a product is flawed, there will be issues and then people who don't take it back or give up, will visit forums because that's their only avenue.
      It is not even close to being a good barometer. HP is by far the best selling printing product out there. It has been since the days dating back to the Deskjet 500 and 500c. The most popular product will almost with 100% certainty have the most users griping about issues with their product. With HP solutions I can say after setting up dozens of various models that their linux support is pretty good. Still not to the level of Epson but having a troublesome HP setup in linux is more of an exception to the rule rather then it being the rule of thumb.

So, when the Broadcom 'problem' which was mentioned here was brought up, it was a very popular topic on forums. Every Linux forum would have threads on Broadcom wifi cards.
      If I were to compare printing products that had the same level of support as broadcom it would have to be Canon inkjet products.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        It is not even close to being a good barometer. HP is by far the best selling printing product out there. It has been since the days dating back to the Deskjet 500 and 500c. The most popular product will almost with 100% certainty have the most users griping about issues with their product. With HP solutions I can say after setting up dozens of various models that their linux support is pretty good. Still not to the level of Epson but having a troublesome HP setup in linux is more of an exception to the rule rather then it being the rule of thumb.
        I'm thinking he's been bitten by the exceptions and thinks it's the norm, deanjo...

If I were to compare printing products that had the same level of support as broadcom it would have to be Canon inkjet products.
        Heh... The first solid Canon product I've seen is the one in current use at my current location at the customer site. Most of the rest of the stuff's been kinda hit-or-miss...about like Broadcom has been, even on Windows...

Comment

Redhat was hardly known, boomed and fell down. Fedora? The same. Debian, Gentoo, Ubuntu...

it is only a matter of time until people are fed up with the hype and look for the next latest and greatest. Maybe Pclinuxos

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            I'm thinking he's been bitten by the exceptions and thinks it's the norm, deanjo...
            I don't get why he keeps buying HP printers if he hates them so much. I always investigate if a printer has good linux support before buying it, and so far this has been a successful approach with two Samsung and Brother printers working flawlessly.

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Heh... The first solid Canon product I've seen is the one in current use at my current location at the customer site. Most of the rest of the stuff's been kinda hit-or-miss...
            That's my experience as well (since it seems experience is the only thing that counts). Had a cheap Canon printer that worked in linux, although some configuration options were not available, but it died after 2 years of usage.

BTW, on the plus side it seems that "crap" is also becoming less popular

Comment

i had used it for one year, easy to use but the desktop platform is ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                I don't get why he keeps buying HP printers if he hates them so much. I always investigate if a printer has good linux support before buying it, and so far this has been a successful approach with two Samsung and Brother printers working flawlessly.
                With the other printers I've got being Epsons...can't complain, really (My best printers are the 1218 and the two Epsons, one MF model...). Printer support's getting better on many of the problem models and more and more aren't "problem child" devices.

As it stands, I don't get why he says they don't work. And I'm with you, I don't get if he's had issues, why he's not moved on to other gear as budget permitted- or why he didn't do a bit of research before buying, unless he had them before his move to Linux.

Perhaps it's a specific multi-function or feature set thereof he's insisting on using.. Most of the MF lineup use PCL for the printer command set (That's been solidly defined and implemented...) and the scanners tend to be standard USB HP scanners. It's when you try using the "advanced" features like WiFi support that you get "doesn't work well" out of them- but then they have...issues...when you're driving that stuff with Windows to begin with as they've implemented the most minimal print/wireless-USB server on the printer with that stuff.

That's my experience as well (since it seems experience is the only thing that counts). Had a cheap Canon printer that worked in linux, although some configuration options were not available, but it died after 2 years of usage.
                Yeah, it's the story with the Canon I'm using off and on. I will say I prefer the Epson or HP over it- but it's been reasonably trouble-free. Now, the OTHER Canon I've got that was just given to me? Paperweight. As was the previous three before it.

BTW, on the plus side it seems that "crap" is also becoming less popular
                The "crap" stuff was typically cheap- something they shaved pennies to dimes off their BoM to get their margins up, only to cause other problems down the line. I see the stuff crop up from time to time- but most people have gotten to figuring out which is the crapshoot and which is the stuff you want. And, it's not always brand-name or expensive stuff either.

Occasionally, I'll buy a paperweight or be given one. It would be the same story if I were using Windows. It's just not any easier in that world...just different if you're not buying an OEM pre-installed machine from someone. And if you upgrade...you're just as on your own as you'd be if you were using Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennisial View Post
                  i had used it for one year, easy to use but the desktop platform is ugly.
                  Used WHAT? Linux? Heh...which distribution, and when? If you can't answer that...you're not being honest with us there.

Comment

no thats not happen really....old is gold people still learn Linux and giving training on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Iksf View Post
                      Out of interest why should we even care about people switching to Linux? Market volume forHardware drivers, ok fair one, its important to be able to have. Other than that whats to gain? Even if Linux was to get more market share than Mac people would still write in .NET and DirectX etc. On the flip side the community is also diluted with people who dont care about freedom, community or any of the principles, have no interest in learning to help themselves, and just want people to help them.
                      It doesn't apply just to hardware drivers, if 99% of the market has no problem doing something then they don't care that it doesn't work for your obscure solution. You can look at browsers, when 95%+ was IE nobody cared if the site required IE6/ActiveX (and so Windows). If you used one of those "weird" browsers you were just being intentionally difficult like complaining that your fork isn't working to eat soup with.

When I struggle with one of those IM clones, my Windows buddy asks "Why can't you just be normal and use MSN as everyone else?" Same goes if OpenOffice has some problem, why not use MS Office like everyone else. If some web page plugin doesn't work, it's all "sorry we only support Windows and Mac". Everything is your problem, because you choose to be part of so small a minority it can be ignored.

If enough people use it, it becomes their problem and/or opportunity "10% of the market can't use our Windows solution, we're losing money on this as we lose sales and page hits." It's no longer all your problem having to reverse engineer everything and struggling just to keep the desktop usable. People start wanting to *support* using Linux. Poor compatibility with Linux solutions becomes a problem to producers. More people start making web services or cross-platform software.

Some people in the Linux community really do need some wakeup calls, they go around saying Linux is SO ready for the desktop and when newbies point out the ways it's not they get hounded. It's creepy how much it acts like a good cop/bad cop routine the way where some lure them in while others go like "whine whine whine, you contribute nothing and didn't pay for it so STFU" Well maybe the "recruiters" should mention that you'll get treated like dirt and get shit for help too? And not just spout a lot of dogma about the superior open source model...

I use Linux. I use it because I can hack around on it and make it work, it works as *MY* desktop as so many are happy to point out. But I would quite clearly say that many of the things I've had to do to make it work is not for anyone but hardcore geeks. The people here have a huge bias because everyone they know are people that know a Linux geek that can help them out. Without it, most people would be completely and utterly lost.

Comment

Working...
                      X