Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Investing In Some Mesa Optimizations

Phoronix: Intel's Investing In Some Mesa Optimizations

Earlier this month an Intel employee began asking about making optimizations to Mesa's shader compiler (on the Mesa-dev list). This Intel employee was not one of their usual Open-Source Technology Center developers commonly working on their Linux graphics stack as part of Keith Packard's team, but instead it was an uncommon name: Benjamin Segovia. Ben is from Intel's Advanced Graphics Lab team where previously he worked on ray-tracing techniques, but as of late seems to be at least dedicating some of his Intel effort towards optimizing Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this work also benefits to gallium, or just to mesa classic ?

Comment

Originally posted by dieppe View Post
      Does this work also benefits to gallium, or just to mesa classic ?
      I'm guessing that this is mostly for Mesa Classic, and not Gallium, but I don't have anything to really go on.

The best reason I can come up with for that hunch is that there's a separate Mesa state tracker for when Gallium3D is in use, and it wasn't mentioned that any of these optimizations were being developed for the Mesa ST. It would also make some sense as Intel isn't currently focusing on Gallium for their integrated graphics chips, but they're focusing on classic Mesa (from all I've read).

Comment

Ho Hum, I seem to recall that the GLSL compiler is shared with both Gallium3D and classic Mesa, but I don't really have anything to back this up with.

Maybe somebody with a better understanding of things can chime in?

Comment

Now, what kind of speed difference does 40% less GPU instructions cause?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Now, what kind of speed difference does 40% less GPU instructions cause?
            Umm... 40% less stuff gets done?

Point taken. I'll try to read up a bit more on the commit history and actually educate myself.

Comment

Working...
            X