Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The VDrift Racing Game Continues Speeding Up

Phoronix: The VDrift Racing Game Continues Speeding Up

At the end of last month the VDrift project did their first snapshot release in more than a year for this open-source drift racing game that's supported on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X operating systems. The VDrift 2010-06-30 snapshot incorporates a great deal of changes, among which are a rewritten physics engine and a new deferred rendering engine that brings a great deal of visual improvements to this free software game. In this article are some screenshots on this OpenGL racing game and more of the new work found within this release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love the textures! Yet somehow I got a feeling that something is... missing... And I don't know what the hell that is =x

Comment

I think it's pretty clear from the list of implemented techniques that this game needs float textures for most of its graphics awesomeness. This is a huge problem in the open source driver stack since it's patented.

Comment

There is still a number of visual improvements that are implemented but missing. Like normal+ambient occlusion maps for cars and tracks, dynamics lights(one of the reasons to go for deferred rendering). The meshes/textures would need some love too. There is work in progress to get at least one car and track to show what is actually possible.

Comment

Yes! The lightning! Compare:

Comment

I know it depends a lot on the game, but is this specific game even playable with FPS as low as what you see in the screenshots? Only one of them is even over 30, some are less that 20!

Comment

Depends... First of all the human brain can only see about 24-30fps. Motion blur would be requered for a smooth experience at such a framerate.

Hower the human brain can track certain cells in the human eye at a solid 60fps for movement.

This game does not feature very rapid movement that requires 60fps.

Comment

This game does not feature very rapid movement that requires 60fps.
                Good, good (although not a good sign for the game's pacing!)

I'll be sure to try this game out at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
                  Good, good (although not a good sign for the game's pacing!)
                  Pacing? It's a race game... >.< It might be me but those cars won't race around the track with 500mph or something...

Comment

30fps is really playable for this game, at least for me. Combine that with the fact that if you so much as touch the controls, the car spins out wildly, and I uninstalled this game in short order.

Comment

Working...
                    X