Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Oldest Legacy Driver Will Not Gain New Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Oldest Legacy Driver Will Not Gain New Support

A few days back there was the release of two updated NVIDIA legacy drivers for Linux, but only their newest legacy driver (they have three different legacy drivers at present) gained support for X.Org Server 1.8. This support though is needed for the older NVIDIA drivers to operate on newer Linux distributions like Fedora 13 and openSUSE 11.3. On this Sunday evening we have now confirmation from NVIDIA that they have no plans on providing xorg-server 1.8 support for their oldest legacy driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ati ... I always buy the cutting edge 3D gpus so the 3D CG world can keep its pace and we will have more photo realistic renders year after year. and leave the old rusty stinky e-waste to you.

in other words fsck you ati!

people who accepts and prefers the ancient hardware and bragging for prolong their lives just don't get it: if we are all happy with hardware 10 years old there will be no such an industry as the "IT" industry, why do we need quad cores? The celeron 300A works just fine! We do we need GTX 480 Quad SLI? The Rage 128 works just fine! If no one pushes the industry forward, we will all be like you, unfortunately I rely on the industry to be pushed forward constantly to make millions, I'm not yet another basement script kiddo.

Comment

My point is simple: If your video card is more than 10 years old, get rid of it already!

Your are just like driving a 1982 honda and bragging about how good it is. If car people are like you, there will be no more car industry. We all be satisfied with 1980's cars and just keep maintain and drive them!

If fashion industry people are like you, there will be no fashion industry because cloths from 50 years ago can also keep you warm! What's the purpose?

I guess you are not that old, try to look forward not backward, your life quality will sure be better.

Comment

If your video card is more than 10 years old, get rid of it already!
        I agree
        Your are just like driving a 1982 honda and bragging about how good it is. If car people are like you, there will be no more car industry. We all be satisfied with 1980's cars and just keep maintain and drive them!
        I'll keep my C3 and Supra thank you
        If fashion industry people are like you, there will be no fashion industry because cloths from 50 years ago can also keep you warm! What's the purpose?
        And just what exactley is wrong with Levi's
        I guess you are not that old, try to look forward not backward, your life quality will sure be better.
        Life quality, you can have your electric cars and GaGa fashion. I'd rather die in my Lil red Corvette wearing my 501's.

Comment

I always see the guaranteed quote of "just go buy a new video card", but what if my broke ass is just trying to get my engineering degree on the laptop I currently own? Oh yeah that's right it is a bitch put a new video card in these things, so how the hell can I just "go out and buy a new one?" Do you really think people would continue to develop for these old crusty cards like my rv515 if there wasn't a need? How does having a cutting edge video card sustain the "IT" industry? That is pure genius. Clearly being IT support for some BS accounting software in some no name firm requires you to be running SLI or CrossFire.... As much as I'd like to get rid of my 10 year old video card.... I can't unless you are willing to mail me a check to buy my ass a new work computer. If you aren't then please don't go running around making douchery just because not everyone fits your same situation.

Comment

So much for quake with that TNT...

Is anyone using any of these chips for hardware accelerated GL these days?

Comment

If you have a 10 year old gfx card, chances are that you have a 10 year old computer aswell. so what is wrong with a 10 year old distro?

Comment

Originally posted by lithorus View Post
                If you have a 10 year old gfx card, chances are that you have a 10 year old computer aswell. so what is wrong with a 10 year old distro?
                That there is no good Adobe Flash support, no new version of Firefox, no support and no way to re-install Ubuntu 7.04 (for example).

My mother uses a very old computer with Pentium III 866 MHz, 512 MB SDRAM 133 MHz and nVIDIA TNT2 Ultra. And suits her needs.

And the main problem is that the old versions of Ubuntu boot slowly, OpenOffice 2.X is "a-no-compare-to-MS Office 2003", you have to use a very old Skype version which is absolutely no match to the Windows version, too.\

So Windows XP in use from now on until there's money for a new computer/laptop. ((((((((:

Comment

I've gotten the newest Ubuntu running on such antique hardware that your eyeballs would fall out if you see it. But it worked without to much hassle just needed to deactivate Compiz due to some graphic glitches. graphics was ATI btw.
                  (imagine 3D effects on such hardware with windows)

Comment

Pushing the industry forward... ROFL.

So how about those KMS, vector graphics acceleration, state trackers... Yup nVidia is moving the industry forward alright, especially now that the tech industry is heading towards Linux, but I'm sure that can be overlooked...

No nVidia sucks. Their cards are as environmentaly friendly as a Ferrari is compared to a Volkswagen Polo. So they lack behind on the energyu efficiency front too. What else am I missing? Oh I know: OpenGL.

Am I missing something else here? Oh yeah ATI does both proprietary and FLOSS. Totally forgot that ATI has made extreme leaps forward from where they were in the past to where they are now with their blob.

What else am I missing? Oh yeah DirectX 11. That is moving forward considdering Windows still has the largest marketshare. What else am I missing? Oh I remember: workstation cards! What else?

Oh I know; more bang for your buck. I hope I haven't forgot about anything here...

Comment

Working...
                    X