Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ATI Radeon R600/700 Gallium3D Driver

Phoronix: The ATI Radeon R600/700 Gallium3D Driver

For months there has been the "R600g" driver that has been under development by the open-source community to create a Gallium3D hardware driver for the ATI Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 (R600/700 generation) graphics cards similar to the "R300g" driver that supports the ATI Radeon graphics processors up through the X1000 (R500) series. We reported in late May that R600g was merged to Mesa master, but we haven't talked about this Gallium3D driver much since then so a reader this morning to ask in about its status...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

sounds like it's a manpower problem. I'd like to help out someday because this sounds like a very big and complicated system. Maybe when I graduate next year I'll have some time... this is one of the high priority projects that interests me.

Comment

There probably would more be more ressources avaible if the r800c was finally finished. I thought that with r800 still being based on the r600 architecture, there wouldn't be this much work. The HD 6xxx series that are coming soon are a kind of r600/r900 architecture mix, so I am wondering if that thing will work at all with the current code or if it will be a year again to make it work.

Comment

My understanding is that Jerome Glisse is currently working on r600g alone and does not want anyone else messing with the code until he is reasonably certain that the code will not have to be drastically modified.

Comment

Originally posted by waucka View Post
          My understanding is that Jerome Glisse is currently working on r600g alone and does not want anyone else messing with the code until he is reasonably certain that the code will not have to be drastically modified.
          Source, Quote pls.

It's nice to see commits coming in almost every day from Marek regarding to r300g. Would love to see this at r600g, too, although I know it'll last it little longer till work gets done on this. Anyway, I looking foward to it.

Comment

This is also my understanding. I think that other devs are waiting for it to render gears before joining in, as the driver is not yet ready.

I don't have a source either, but I remember reading it.

Comment

will be supported even mobility radeon HD2x00??
              I can't believe!

Comment

Originally posted by cdprincipe View Post
                will be supported even mobility radeon HD2x00??
                I can't believe!
                Yes, the Mobility Radeon HD 2000 series belongs to the R600 architecture and is/will be supported by the Gallium3D r600g driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabauke View Post
                  Source, Quote pls.

It's nice to see commits coming in almost every day from Marek regarding to r300g. Would love to see this at r600g, too, although I know it'll last it little longer till work gets done on this. Anyway, I looking foward to it.
                  Most likely:
                  Discussion of the X Server and related X.Org components, including X Input, Multi-Pointer X, and Multi-Touch. The Linux Kernel DRM (Direct Rendering Manager) can also be discussed.

I wouldn't mind if Phoronix actually went out and interviewed the people involved instead, it would make a more interesting article.

Comment

They'll be lucky to get OpenGL 3.0 to 3.2 working by the end of the year. I don't see OpenGL 4.0 and DX11 cards working well with even the 3.2 stuff till middle of next year.

Comment

Working...
                    X