Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's The 3dfx Banshee, Voodoo DRM/KMS Driver

Phoronix: Here's The 3dfx Banshee, Voodoo DRM/KMS Driver

Last month we reported on the status of kernel mode-setting with the Glint driver that's being done as a Google Summer of Code project to provide KMS support for the ancient 3Dlabs Permedia 3 and Permedia 4 graphics cards and to better document the Linux KMS/DRM driver writing process. As part of the Glint KMS discussion, it emerged that an independent developer (James Simmons) happened to hack together a 3dfx DRM driver. This was interesting as the work was never published or accepted into the mainline kernel, but today we finally are able to lay our eyes on this open-source 3dfx driver for the Banshee, Voodoo 3, and Voodoo 5 graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Raises the "I'm (still) a proud owner of a Voodoo-based card" flag
    Very nice to see some folks are interested in tinkering with those
    *Random "Those were the days" nostalgia with glimmer in the eyes goes here*

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
      i think i still have one or two around. but they are not used atm.

Comment

I'm so glad I held onto my 3500TV.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
          I am also still a proud owner of a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI. It's sitting in my Digital Personal Workstation 500au (Alpha 21164 500Mhz), but unfortunately, it's in the parents basement about 1200 miles away from me at the moment... Another year and I'll be back in range of it.

It also happens to be the same system that my Creative AWE64 Gold currently resides in

Comment

I still have a Banshee (in AGP format) in my junk parts box, and have acquired this card back in 1999. Might dust it off and use it in my ancient P3 450 machine

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
              I am also still a proud owner of a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI. It's sitting in my Digital Personal Workstation 500au (Alpha 21164 500Mhz), but unfortunately, it's in the parents basement about 1200 miles away from me at the moment... Another year and I'll be back in range of it.

It also happens to be the same system that my Creative AWE64 Gold currently resides in
              Yep I still have that card in my ancient box as well. Nice card and still works!

Comment

I've already pulled this patch into my kernel tree, and I'll be making it available for Dave to test and pull once I can get it working on my Banshee.

It's very cool to see this kind of code coming from the community and helping to remove old code that we no longer want in favor of stronger, more maintainable code.

Comment

This is definitely coolness. Those old voodoo cards were nice in the old days... still would be ok if a new mainboard had an agp slot..... my old voodoo3-2k is still in use -- gave it to my cousin, who uses it in her primary workhorse.

Comment

I love this.

It always saddened me when old pieces of hardware and/or software stopped working due to a new OS or other upgrades - like the computer industry's lost part of its heritage, if that makes any sense..

Besides, a lot of hardware of this age could still be of much use in a second hand/charity context, and it's nice to see that this isn't being let-slide by software attrition.

Very cool

Comment

Working...
                    X