Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Effects For PiTiVi Video Editor Progresses

Phoronix: Video Effects For PiTiVi Video Editor Progresses

The open-source PiTiVi video editing application designed for GNOME and leverages the GStreamer framework had gained much publicity after it was included by default in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. PiTiVi though is still no comparison to Apple's iMovie or Microsoft's Windows Movie Maker, but it continues to mature and pick-up new features. The most recent example of this is PiTiVi finally beginning to properly support video effects within the non-linear video editor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's funny you blog about this today as I had to google to find out that a video editor shipped by default on ubuntu does not support video effects, lol. I tried to click anything anywhere, read the help file, .. I couldn't believe it was not in there.

I'm used to Kdenlive which is quite featureful but I was forced to try something else as with my current packages (opensuse 11.1) it somehow does not work anymore.. Guess I'll wait just a few hours for suse 11.3 and do a reinstall

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty worthless at this point for any real editing. I guess that for the millions of youtube users out there who only trim and splice video, it was good enough for Ubuntu to include by default.

Matti3, give OpenShot a try. It uses the same MTL framework as Kdenlive. It's got effects and transitions. They state that they want to go after the "easy to use" market, so it'll probably never be as in depth as Kden, but it does the job for me.

Comment

Off-topic:
        What about Lightworks? Wasn't it featured here when its open-sourcing was announced? Wonder when they'll actually release the code.
        ____

On-topic:
        It's nice to actually get some effects in this video editor (it runs without having to install more libs, ie. Qt) even though kdenlive (and bunch of others) already have these functions.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
          Yeah, it's pretty worthless at this point for any real editing. I guess that for the millions of youtube users out there who only trim and splice video, it was good enough for Ubuntu to include by default.
          even that, you can do on youtube itself nowadays see http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/201...eo-editor.html

Matti3, give OpenShot a try. It uses the same MTL framework as Kdenlive. It's got effects and transitions. They state that they want to go after the "easy to use" market, so it'll probably never be as in depth as Kden, but it does the job for me.
          thanks for the tip! will try it out this evening

Comment

Working...
          X