No announcement yet.

The OpenSolaris Board May Kill Itself Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to look at the bright side, IF BSD and Solaris are dying because the development community and users are moving to other open source operating systems like Linux, it MAY be a good thing for open source as a whole because it'll help unify the movement around a single operating system. There are benefits to this which I assume people here understand. Unfortunately, if they are moving to proprietary ones like Windows or Mac, then it's might not be so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
      Just to look at the bright side, IF BSD and Solaris are dying because the development community and users are moving to other open source operating systems like Linux, it MAY be a good thing for open source as a whole because it'll help unify the movement around a single operating system. There are benefits to this which I assume people here understand. Unfortunately, if they are moving to proprietary ones like Windows or Mac, then it's might not be so good.
      But as the old wisdom usually says: people running servers with UNIX software will probably continue to run a UNIX or UNIX clone. That means these folks would most likely be going to Linux, or else they'll seek out some other proprietary UNIX (but that's probably not the first choice of most companies).

Some stuff does port to Windows, but there are plenty of specialized apps that use UNIX features that can only be decently emulated on Windows by Cygwin, which can be buggy, or virtualization, which just revives the question of what OS you're going to run in the guest.

I wouldn't mind seeing Red Hat pick up some enterprise sales once the last Solaris users jump ship, but the sad truth is that Windows can run a lot of general purpose software like the AMP stack, so you might end up seeing "WAMP" (Windows / Apache / MySQL / PHP) growing more common if people are afraid of Linux due to stability or SCO's bully tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
        Don't know about Solaris, but BSD hardly has a development community. It's certainly minuscule when compared to Linux. Just take a look at the graphics stack. Have you seen any contributions from FreeBSD devs? It's mostly a one way street where they take the Linux code but don't contribute anything back. Besides it's a different culture, many of the FreeBSD devs probably feel closer to Apple than to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
          And Netcraft confirms it, BSD is still dying.
          Oh, I know this one. :P

Comment

Originally posted by philcostin View Post
            So Solaris is now dead.
            It is? I didnt knew that! Where did you get that information? Or, is it just a wish or do you just FUD?

FYI, Larry Ellison has invested 7.4 billion USD in Sun, to get the two key assets: Java and Solaris. Oracle's Linux distro is just a repackage of RedHat, and that doesnt cost billions. Larry has never invested billions in Linux, but he has in Solaris. And he will invest even more money. He is going all in on Solaris. Especially as he says that Solaris is for highend and Linux for lowend. So I do suspect "Solaris is dead" is just some FUD from you.

OpenSolaris will soon be forked off and polished and then released as Solaris 11. So I dont really see how Solaris nor OpenSolaris is dead? You are just FUDing.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              ZFS is dead. btrfs is (becoming) the new ZFS. Long live btrfs! (insert some comment about how btrfs' is broken by design here)
              Wow! Here we have lots of new "information"! "Solaris is dead". "ZFS is dead". etc. Or, is it just FUD? I havent seen any articles that ZFS has been killed?

But if we compare the status of ZFS with BTRFS. Here we see a RedHat developer that has been asked to evaluate BTRFS for Enterprise use.

"In the meanwhile I confirm that Btrfs design is completely broken: records stored in the B-tree differ greatly from each other (it is unacceptable!), and the balancing algorithms have been modified in insane manner. All these factors has led to loss of *all* boundaries holding internal fragmentation and to exhaustive waste of disk space (and memory!) in spite of the property "scaling in their ability to address large storage".
              It seems that nobody have reviewed Btrfs before its inclusion to the mainline. I have only found a pair of recommendations with a common idea that Btrfs maintainer is "not a crazy man". Plus a number of papers which admire with the "Btrfs phenomena". Sigh.

The first obvious point here is that we *can not* put such file system to production."

Good luck to the BTRFS users!

Comment

Working...
              X