Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Is Working On A Strategy Game

Phoronix: Unigine Is Working On A Strategy Game

Earlier this month the developers behind the Unigine Engine shared their latest update on this advanced 3D engine that's fully supported under Linux. With the latest work on this game engine, there are significant performance optimizations to UnigineScript (the developers sah these optimizations are "HUGE"), volumetric light shafts, optimized rendering of meshes in non-instanced mode, optimizations of the Unigine math library, and a note there is a new terrain system on the way, among other changes. Unigine Corp also dropped their first public confirmation of a new strategy game they are developing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:
    the developers sah
    sah -> said

On topic: dat pics
    Looking good as always. If the mechanics are good, and it runs on FOSS drivers, I'm buying

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      If the mechanics are good, and it runs on FOSS drivers, I'm buying
      Absolutely no way, unfortunately. :<
      I bet they've dropped the linux-client anyway. My reasoning for that is that they've gotten alot of publicity through their Heaven Benchmark, and that's not because it's cross-platform, but because it's the first to display what DirectX11-esque features (I know you can do the same things with OpenGl, but 99.9% of the public don't care). And to make hard cash out of this I think they're trying to push out a game as fast as possible, and linux-support wasn't exactly a priority. Maybe they'll release a linux-client a few months later, just as with their Heaven-benchmark.
      Of course I also might be overly pessimistic (mostly thanks to UT3 and the Steam-is-definitely-coming-every-minute-now-fiasco) and completely wrong. I sure hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
        Well, it's possible to run the Sanctuary version 2.2 benchmark with r300g (on r500 hardware), it's not working perfectly, but it runs.

So I guess running the game will depend on if they set out to make it eye candy-and-damn everything else - or if the engine downgrades nicely to make it playable on most setups?

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
          I bet they've dropped the linux-client anyway. My reasoning for that is that they've gotten alot of publicity through their Heaven Benchmark, and that's not because it's cross-platform, but because it's the first to display what DirectX11-esque features (I know you can do the same things with OpenGl, but 99.9% of the public don't care). And to make hard cash out of this I think they're trying to push out a game as fast as possible, and linux-support wasn't exactly a priority. Maybe they'll release a linux-client a few months later, just as with their Heaven-benchmark.
          Of course I also might be overly pessimistic (mostly thanks to UT3 and the Steam-is-definitely-coming-every-minute-now-fiasco) and completely wrong. I sure hope so.
          I would say this is more dictated by the state of the graphics drivers in linux then their desire to release a linux game. Their development platform is linux and the code is then compiled and tested on Windows from what I've heard. So that would mean the only way they wouldn't support linux at launch would be if the graphics drivers aren't good enough to support their eye candy at launch then it could be postponed. I'm not really sure of the maturity of the OpenGL 4 drivers but that is what is needed for this to be a linux game at launch.

Comment

The OpenGL 4 drivers are quite mature now, at least Unigine Heaven runs great with OpenGL 4 + Tesselation with the latest builds.

Also, everyone who thinks Spring (see above) looks better than Unigine, raise your hand. You won't see mine, not for a second.

Comment

Well a game is not only defined by the engine. It has to be fun to play first of all. I do not like that much strategy games, but maybe others. Tesselation is certainly interesting, but to really play a game using it you need a fast solution not a budget card. So you can spend around 200 bucks on hardware to play it with all effects - but then has to look at least great Will be interesting to see which hardware is needed for id tech 5.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                The OpenGL 4 drivers are quite mature now, at least Unigine Heaven runs great with OpenGL 4 + Tesselation with the latest builds.

Also, everyone who thinks Spring (see above) looks better than Unigine, raise your hand. You won't see mine, not for a second.
                The engine is not really that great on the graphics front to be honest. Boasting about graphics by rendering no-shadow point lights in masses gives me at best a shy look from the side but doesn't impress me. Tessellation is nice and interesting for an established scenario but as a "ground break feature" to promote an engine it's over the top. The engine is for sure not bad but in general it doesn't lift me out of my seat, especially for having a price tag attached to it.

Comment

Unigine is definitely prettier not to say Spring isn't worth checking out. I just added their Repository and downing it right now

Comment

downloading* not downing :-P

Comment

Working...
                    X