Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotify P2P Music Program Released For Linux

Phoronix: Spotify P2P Music Program Released For Linux

Spotify, a proprietary peer-to-peer music streaming service created by some Swedish developers, is now available for Linux. The developers from Stockholm characterize this initial Linux release as being a preview build, which goes unsupported by the company and currently lacks support for decoding local music on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really nice, no need of WINE:ing now.

Comment

Nice, although it always worked pretty flawlessly under wine for me.

Also, how on earth is display ads different on linux to windows?

Comment

gentoo users, this is your time to switch to paludis, which has importare.

it's a bummer this doesn't work with "unlimited" accounts, which you have to pay for too. on my first launch it seems to be pretty slow, too, although admittedly I only used the login screen.

Comment

Dependency issue with --gnome-support package

There's currently an issue with their '--gnome-support' package, which is most likely depending upon the the gconf2 package version from Debian rather than Ubuntu. So made a modified version of the package with the correct dependency (depends upon current Ubuntu 10.04 gconf2 version) here.

Comment

I'm not sure if the developers address this directly, but what is the legality of this service in the U.S.? Will the RIAA come after this like they did Napster, since it is peer to peer? Or is ASCAP backing this (and getting a hefty share of the ad revenue)?

If it's got the industry's backing enough to be unlikely to get sued, I might give it a try...

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
              I'm not sure if the developers address this directly, but what is the legality of this service in the U.S.? Will the RIAA come after this like they did Napster, since it is peer to peer? Or is ASCAP backing this (and getting a hefty share of the ad revenue)?

If it's got the industry's backing enough to be unlikely to get sued, I might give it a try...
              From what I gather this service is a lot similar to Last.fm, which is available worldwide. So I can't see why Spotify can't get licensing in USA and other countries outside Europe as all this service does is stream, with no downloading.

I'd try this service if it was available in USA if it has a lot to offer

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                From what I gather this service is a lot similar to Last.fm, which is available worldwide. So I can't see why Spotify can't get licensing in USA and other countries outside Europe as all this service does is stream, with no downloading.

I'd try this service if it was available in USA if it has a lot to offer
                you can choose which exact song you want to play, instead of playing a station.

Comment

An excellent P2P "music" program existed for Linux long before that one though. KTorrent

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    An excellent P2P "music" program existed for Linux long before that one though. KTorrent
                    hehe ...but using that program became quite "expensive". At leats here (in Germany). yeah yeah every download is a lost sale ...

Comment

Working...
                    X