No announcement yet.

A New Release Of The AMD XvBA Back-End To VA-API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a very short test with xbmc I found already 2 other bugs in xmbc while testing it. One crash with fglrx (not nvidia) even with software decoding. vaapi is choppy in xbmc with nvidia, intel and ati. Some xbmc dev should fix it...

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
      However, when it works, everything is offloaded to the GPU unlike NVIDIA for VC-1 and earlier GPUs.
      Well, what about earlier ATI GPUs, like the HD2000 series? Is it possible to get any kind of decode acceleration with XvBA now?

Comment

How do you use it? What kind of video file? What version of gstreamer? Just saying "doesn't work" doesn't help much. If your videos are embedded in a .ts container, then there indeed could be decoding -- well, parsing -- problems.
        I am using the following versions:
        Catalyst 10-6
        gstreamer from this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~gstreamer-dev...s_filter=lucid
        gstreamer-ffmpeg 10.10.5
        ffmpeg and x264 built from svn/git yesterday
        libva 0.31.1-sds3
        xvba 0.7.1
        gstreamer-vaapi 0.2.5

Do I need to build gstreamer myself?

I was trying several different video formats (avi, flv, mp4, mpeg) using gst-launch. I'm not on that partition at the moment, but I can get you more detailed output if you think it will be helpful. Thanks for your efforts/time/attention.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
          Well, what about earlier ATI GPUs, like the HD2000 series? Is it possible to get any kind of decode acceleration with XvBA now?
          Yes. My notebook has a mobile HD2600, and XvBA works quite well with L4.1 material. Occasionally, playback stutters with mplayer-vaapi, but it works well for the most part. Granted, XvBA just is not as good as VDPAU, but for notebook users such as myself, it is a viable solution. Although mplayer-mt also works quite well, I prefer mplayer-vaapi simply because the XvBA implementation allows lower CPU frequencies, which translates to cooler and quieter CPU operations.

Comment

Arch Linux packages are generally current. Use either upstream 0.31.0 (so called "1.0.1") without any patches or libva-sds 0.31.1-1+sds3. I just saw some packages built this morning. This might work now.
            Packages in Arch Linux repos are updated now

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              vlc git shows green.
              I sent a patch to VLC devs. This may also fix a problem on Ironlake.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                I am using the following versions:
                Catalyst 10-6
                gstreamer from this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~gstreamer-dev...s_filter=lucid
                gstreamer-ffmpeg 10.10.5
                ffmpeg and x264 built from svn/git yesterday
                libva 0.31.1-sds3
                xvba 0.7.1
                gstreamer-vaapi 0.2.5

Do I need to build gstreamer myself?

I was trying several different video formats (avi, flv, mp4, mpeg) using gst-launch. I'm not on that partition at the moment, but I can get you more detailed output if you think it will be helpful. Thanks for your efforts/time/attention.
                What is the outcome of the following?

GST_DEBUG=vaapi:5,vaapidecode:5,vaapisink:5 gst-launch -v filesrc location=/path/to/some/video.mp4 ! qtdemux ! vaapidecode ! vaapisink

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                  The only chips officially supported are RS780E and RV770 (Mobile Radeon HD 4870 actually). You can try other GPUs with UVD, it may work but AMD won't make much (if any) effort at fixing them if they don't work. It seems to work on an HD 2600 though.

Comment

DISCLAIMER: I skipped most of the previous posts in this thread.

Now let me get this straight: There's a XvBA, which can forward to VA-API, which can forward to VDPAU?

* Shoots self. *

Comment

Oh yeah great, a proprietary 'solution' for a proprietary problem that is the current FLOSS state and one that will only be used for a limited period of time.

*Yaaaaaaawn*

Of course people 'need' this functionality because without it Linux isn't viable <_<'

Comment

Working...
                      X