Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

it's Official: Valve aren't releasing Steam for Linux !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it's Official: Valve aren't releasing Steam for Linux !

"There are no plans to create a native Linux Steam Client at this time."

Source: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...1313-QIPD-5381

Should Valve update their plans with regard to Linux, it is safe to assume Steam isn't coming to Linux anytime soon. Pretty simple Logic.

Yeah, except that it also said "No plans for a Mac client" even after the official announcement and release.

If it IS coming, they aren't ready to confirm it yet. Changing that page would be seen as confirmation, which is why they didn't.

I think that page has absolutely no weight in the argument, one way or the other.

Comment

the_real_bill, I am disappoint.

Must be the heat wave. Forgiven.

Comment

I saw a thread on /g/ complaining about steam on linux. They contend that steam has no place in a FOSS environment. Clearly, they're just ungrateful and unreasonable idealists. It's all about accepting linux as a platform, steam would be a big step towards ending microsoft's choke-hold on the gaming market. Any comments?

Comment

Yeah that page said that there were no plans for a mac client weeks after the mac client had actually been released, it's not that often updated.
          I for one, think that steam on Linux would show the viability of Linux as a gaming platform and that would cause more developers to begin working on ports of games for Linux.

Like it or not, not everybody is satisfied playing ascii art games, most people want more than that, steam can deliver the content they want.
          I use proprietary drivers and applications with Linux, and so it doesn't bother me to buy a proprietary game either or using it.
          There will always be the people who take an ideal to the extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
            I saw a thread on /g/ complaining about steam on linux. They contend that steam has no place in a FOSS environment. Clearly, they're just ungrateful and unreasonable idealists. It's all about accepting linux as a platform, steam would be a big step towards ending microsoft's choke-hold on the gaming market. Any comments?
            No, steam would NOT do this. The best it can do is bringing DRM and other crap to Linux but it won't help Linux as a gaming platform. It's closed, it's riddled with aggressive stuff and is not open to anybody. If you want something to bring Linux forward then Desura please. Granted it's most probably closed source too but it is not DRM riddled, has no aggressive stuff on board and is open to the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              No, steam would NOT do this. The best it can do is bringing DRM and other crap to Linux but it won't help Linux as a gaming platform. It's closed, it's riddled with aggressive stuff and is not open to anybody. If you want something to bring Linux forward then Desura please. Granted it's most probably closed source too but it is not DRM riddled, has no aggressive stuff on board and is open to the people.
              I can't agree with You. I know it's DRM & it's closed source, but who cares. You don't want to use it - You don't use it , You want - You use. Simply as that.

If Steam is coming to Linux it could help him grow & take bigger market share ( Valve & his Steam is really big player in gaming business, if they going to make games for Linux maybe other company's/developers will do the same).

I've hear that many people ( in my country, but not only) says that they would switch to Linux but they want to play games & double booting ( Win + Lin) isn't the way for them. I have to agree with them, if I want to use Linux, I want to use it in all spheres of my interests.

That's all from Me.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you but this is not true. If Steam comes to Linux you get a "distribution platform" but games are not getting Linux clients auto-magically. This is a fart many people seem to have about Steam. They think if steam comes to Linux all games they have (even source engine based ones) would automatically be playable under Linux. This - is - not - the - case! The only thing you get is a DRM beast on Linux but the porting problematic stays the same as before.

Comment

Yes, I know that not all games are going to appear on Linux, but I think if Valve is going to release Steam for it than all ( ok maybe not all, but most of ) "THEIR" games will have Linux native client. I don't see what would be purpose of releasing Steam without games.

P.S.

Even if it have DRM & other (annoying) stuff I hope it's going to work & We will see some good quality games on Linux.

P.S.2

but the porting problematic stays the same as before.
                  Hmm, porting never was problematic I think, only thing that kept away developers from Linux was "small market share" that it covers.

Comment

The porting problematic does not that much refer to the technical side but more the "behind the scenes" side of the story. What goes for the technical part you can port stuff... it just costs more or less money. And business suits don't like expenses if there is no ROI in sight. Unfortunately Steam doesn't provide that ROI. It only deals with the delivery problem which is though the least of the problems involved (see UT3).

Comment

Working...
                    X