Nvidia drivers performance vs Ati drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia drivers performance vs Ati drivers

I want ask if anyone made recently a comparison between nvidia drivers vs ati dirvers under linux.
    Imagine two cards who have a equal performance index under Windows like radeon 4870 and geforce gtx 260.
    If we rate this index 100, what rate they would rich respectively under linux with native games and wine-games ?

OpenGL games vary only a bit, usually less than 10%. But for well known DX games Win is MUCH faster. Especially due to driver optimizations specificly to a game. Even with a good Wine rendering the game maybe runs with the speed of a lowend gfx card on a much faster system.

Comment

DX via Wine is far from native performance, but for you everything is different.

Comment

For native games, does it matter? If it's 4870 v.s. GTS 250 or GTX 260?

I wouldn't play Windows games via Wine myself... but for native games, it is interesting (to me, anyway) if there is any difference.

However, even in Wine, it might be interesting to know if there's a difference with Windoze apps that aren't necessarily games.

Comment

I find that contrary to popular belief, that ATI drivers perform better in 3D. The hardware is also better these days. Quite frankly, fermi was a total flop. I will give nVidia credit where it is due though. In the Linux HTPC arena, nVidia does far better. Hopefully, ATI will be catching up soon though. In one of the other forum threads, it was suggested where the problem was with XvBA and the 5xxx series.

Comment

You tested yourself similar priced hardware from nv and ati? I would not consider fermi as flop. Compared to ATI similar NV cards are 10-30 € more expensive. As you need a bit power for tessellation much cheaper cards then you get now will not be able play games with DX11/OpenGL4 effects at full hd anyway. Of couse you can buy cheaper cards but then you will still only use OpenGL3 effects or it will be really slow. Do you really think a HD 5850 is better than a GTX 470 when you mainly use Linux?

Comment

First of all it is a pure Win engine and you are in a Linux forum. Also those benchmarks you found did NOT even compare the OpenGL 4 performance Win vs. Linux.

Comment

You are always the one who dreams of a bright future and now a demo is not enough for you. You can use it interactively did you know that?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  You tested yourself similar priced hardware from nv and ati? I would not consider fermi as flop. Compared to ATI similar NV cards are 10-30 ? more expensive. As you need a bit power for tessellation much cheaper cards then you get now will not be able play games with DX11/OpenGL4 effects at full hd anyway. Of couse you can buy cheaper cards but then you will still only use OpenGL3 effects or it will be really slow. Do you really think a HD 5850 is better than a GTX 470 when you mainly use Linux?
                  I would think so. Quite frankly, nVidia 3D performance isn't really that great in Linux. That being said, the drivers have many more easily accessable features than the ATI drivers. If you are purely interested in 3D performance, ATI is the way to go. Hopefully future drivers will speed up tesselation with ATI. I will give that nVidia seems to have better tesselation for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    nvidia is slower in Tesselation wen it comes to real games: http://www.geeks3d.com/20100528/test...70-vs-hd-5770/
                    Did you read the comments?

Even Windows users are mentioning tessellation problems with ATI cards.

One users states that with 4xAA turned on, the GTX 470 is faster than a HD 5870.

The point is, maybe it's not so cut and dry... the consensus here seems to be that ATI has a lot of MAJOR driver issues no matter how highly one might think the potential is.

Comment

Working...
                    X