Nvidia drivers performance vs Ati drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    I find that contrary to popular belief, that ATI drivers perform better in 3D. The hardware is also better these days. Quite frankly, fermi was a total flop. I will give nVidia credit where it is due though. In the Linux HTPC arena, nVidia does far better. Hopefully, ATI will be catching up soon though. In one of the other forum threads, it was suggested where the problem was with XvBA and the 5xxx series.
    I'm not sure you are right. On what base do you write your comment?
    Hexus made a review last year compraing ati vs nvidia drivers on linux.
    HEXUS' own Linux expert, Jo Shields, takes another close look at what's on offer from graphics giants ATI and NVIDIA.

They took for the review 2 cards which performs quite similarly under windows (gtx 260 vs 4870) as shown by the performance index of computerbase.de

Now, I know in more than one year things may be changed, but I would like to see some real number rather than speculation.
    If we take for true the results on this review from phoronix
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

then I'm inclined to think that perfromance didn't really changed.
    And yet we don't take in account that nvidia drivers may have improved the situation.

Comment

What good is a 3d card to linux, if it crashes a lot whatever you do? Like dog slow tearful video playback? like full screen app blows craps up and bring down the entire system? like firefox scrolling like a 486?

Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        nvidia is slower in Tesselation wen it comes to real games: http://www.geeks3d.com/20100528/test...70-vs-hd-5770/
        Not always, at least according to vizworld.com

HD 5870 is slower than GTX 480 in Dirt 2 @ Ultra settings which means tessellation is enabled.

http://www.vizworld.com/2010/03/nvid...80-benchmarks/

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
          Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie. Fglrx is a lie.
          Yes, unfortunately like the cake, sometimes it is a lie.

Comment

Working...
          X