LL_10.04 has **not** exited low.beta status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ah, that crap article.
    If you are a little bit older, you might remember the 'the internet apps will kill the desktop' hype a few years ago - 10 AFAIR. And the 'the thin client and a network with some big servers will kill the desktop for good' 20 years ago. And all the same crap in 5year steps between those two milestones. Now it is again some X will kill the desktop for sure crap.

Yawn.
    And whoever says that linux is not as userfriendly as windows has never installed Microsoft windows without the drivers ready to install on a cd.

Comment

you are correct

I agree completely with you. The big-boyz have cursed the single-lusr desktop (power !! ) since Apple first fell off-da-tree.

I see a steady improvement in Linux over the next 5-years ... when I say current **low_beta** I really mean that in the sense of "hiding your virtue" ... IBM can afford to be patient in ways joe_schmoo computer_corp cannot be patient.

I believe IBM is playing that "long_game" for computer dominance and expects to win on desktop/kit amazingly more dynamic than the current offering. **BTW** those personal desktops under IBM_Ubuntu may be so tightly coupled (word??) that mating_pairs might be a better model for socalled independence. After all IBM is pushing this **complex is wonderful** paradigm in all the media ... what could be more complex than graded pairwise bonding(?) of infinite lusrland desktop kits ?

Originally posted by energyman View Post
      ah, that crap article.
      If you are a little bit older, you might remember the 'the internet apps will kill the desktop' hype a few years ago - 10 AFAIR. And the 'the thin client and a network with some big servers will kill the desktop for good' 20 years ago. And all the same crap in 5year steps between those two milestones. Now it is again some X will kill the desktop for sure crap.

Yawn.
      And whoever says that linux is not as userfriendly as windows has never installed Microsoft windows without the drivers ready to install on a cd.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxjoe View Post
        I agree completely with you. The big-boyz have cursed the single-lusr desktop (power !! ) since Apple first fell off-da-tree.

I see a steady improvement in Linux over the next 5-years ... when I say current **low_beta** I really mean that in the sense of "hiding your virtue" ... IBM can afford to be patient in ways joe_schmoo computer_corp cannot be patient.

I believe IBM is playing that "long_game" for computer dominance and expects to win on desktop/kit amazingly more dynamic than the current offering. **BTW** those personal desktops under IBM_Ubuntu may be so tightly coupled (word??) that mating_pairs might be a better model for socalled independence. After all IBM is pushing this **complex is wonderful** paradigm in all the media ... what could be more complex than graded pairwise bonding(?) of infinite lusrland desktop kits ?
        isn't there some kind of requirement for speaking english on these forums?

Comment

post grade-school reading level

Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
          isn't there some kind of requirement for speaking english on these forums?
          You **do** read above the grade_school level, eh ?

Comment

For the love of whatever you believe in, can someone please lock this thread? Even looking at jaxjoe's text hurts my eyes!

Jaxjoe: Nobody cares about you/your problems/your pathetic existence. If you want people to take you seriously, I'd strongly suggest you do the following, in this order:

1) Pull your head out of your ass,
            2) Start using proper English,
            3) Report bugs if you want something to be fixed.

If all else fails (read: if you fail to do #1) do everyone here a favor and stay away from the keyboard. Go out! That bright thing on the sky is called the sun, you'll like it!

Comment

Originally posted by jaxjoe View Post
              You **do** read above the grade_school level, eh ?
              Amazingly I do. Quite a bit above. I am not going to be as harsh as dcc24 but it is really difficult to understand sometimes what you are trying to say or the point you are trying to make.

Having said that I very carefully reread your last statement and I think it makes more sense this time around.

I wasn't / am not aware of any particular relationship between IBM and Ubuntu... Other than that the might be offering Ubuntu as an alternative to RedHat on their small iron servers (as opposed to AIX which they run on their big iron). IBM just don't have that much to do with desktop computing any more (other than the enterprise market)... They do promote Linux in general however.

As for incremental improvement over the next 5 years I suspect something like this will happen too. I also expect that the media will declare Desktop Linux dead in that time.

This sentence I just can't parse at all
              The big-boyz have cursed the single-lusr desktop (power !! ) since Apple first fell off-da-tree.
              specifically the single-lusr desktop (power !!) part

Comment

mom can wash your skivis ... read a rhetoric text ...

... I advise helping yourself. What you want byte-bitch is of no interest to me.

Originally posted by dcc24 View Post
                For the love of whatever you believe in, can someone please lock this thread? Even looking at jaxjoe's text hurts my eyes!

Jaxjoe: Nobody cares about you/your problems/your pathetic existence. If you want people to take you seriously, I'd strongly suggest you do the following, in this order:

If all else fails (read: if you fail to do #1) do everyone here a favor and stay away from the keyboard. Go out! That bright thing on the sky is called the sun, you'll like it!

Comment

Originally posted by dcc24 View Post

+1Thanks

Comment

current system status

Gents:

Excepting LM_sensors, scanner-HW and reliable DVD support, all system functions working well under x64U_10.04LTS ... notices posted when conditions warrant.

Comment

Welcome back, gents:

I knew it was too good to last. Ubuntu totally stumbled over Sunday Night football and the MOONLIGHT paste-on to the FireFox browser. Guess SysAdmins don't like football! It's YOOL 2010 and a system that can't do streaming football just ... well, it just isn't in the ball game. Ha hahahaha ! Can we throw the **low_beta** flag again? Ten yard penalty and repeat the down HAHA.

But, what can you expect from a low_beta OS, when **REDZONE** situations occur and the OS really just can't fail? But, Ubuntu really always just does fail in such **crucial** off-the-beaten-trail conditions.

Ah well ... perhaps next year Ubuntu and it's minions will support elementary streaming sports video -- or mebby -- after the infamous UBUNTU DESKTOP FAILURE article we can all cuddle up to a fully functional UBUNTU.M$ ---say Bobs your unkil haha.

Comment

Working...
                      X