X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LL_10.04 has **not** exited low.beta status

Gents:

Running 965-AMD/MSI-gd70/9800gtx/6-G Crucial/Seagate&WD SATA

I observe that my x64LL_10.04...LTS install has continued unstable and serendipitous function for the last week! As for all previous weeks since release. By that term unstable I mean one of the many primary system_functions ( printer, WCam, sound, DVD_play etc ) has spontaneously failed to perform or be recognized on-boot. Invariably successful response come&goes depending on the latest update!

One never knows for sure.... My judgement is that such behavior is to be expected in a low_beta release intended for non-drop.dead & secondary client?le functions. We are the "practice_round" so to speak and our opportunity costs are to valued at $0.0 rather than at some low multiple of kit cost.

I wonder when LL_10.04 is supposed to work ? I guess the day it's delivered to IBM desktops.

Have you filed a good bug report ? A lot of these problems only show up on specific systems so unless you file bug reports with enough details for the distro folks to reproduce they won't ever get seen or fixed.
    Test signature

Comment

I don't think Canonical ever promised their LTS releases were more stable or reliable or functional than any other release. They just promised to "support" it for a longer interval than the others.

Comment

Insufficient tech skills

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Have you filed a good bug report ? A lot of these problems only show up on specific systems so unless you file bug reports with enough details for the distro folks to reproduce they won't ever get seen or fixed.
        I don't judge my comp-tech skills up to the task of completing a formal bug_report. I have looked and bug_reports appear very demanding. But, that's not all.

The switching for tasks ... between function/non_function ... is so consistent per update that I can only conclude the Ubuntu coders are hashing_thru some pre-determined and conflicted set of OS options. Really the tasks have been back-and-forth a half_dozen times since April. Guess I expected this sort of experimentation to be settled & completed before the code was released !

Comment

A couple of questions :

- how are you going to get good at filing bug reports if you don't start doing it ?

- if the problem is so obvious, do you think the distro team would have shipped it ? If not, then what explanation is there other than there being a system-specific issue that causes it to work on the tested systems but not on yours ?
          Test signature

Comment

OH no! logic!

Comment

logic is a subset of truth

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
              OH no! logic!
              I feel no need or desire to perform trouble-shooting methods on Ubuntu code. Head-beating against a wall ... that's a young mans combinatoric logic game.

These days I stay more to the "beauty" end of intuitive truth. I'm not going to get into the conflict. I **do** run and submit admin-->system--> tests that on occasion connect with the issues I've raised.

Comment

If you really don't have time, then perhaps you should opt for paid support? That way you have an outlet.

Comment

paid MAC

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
                  If you really don't have time, then perhaps you should opt for paid support? That way you have an outlet.
                  Now that pitch misses the strike_zone. If I could afford to pay for software support I'd ... run MAC kit and OS. Wouldn't every desktop ??

Comment

run MAC kit and OS. Wouldn't every desktop ??
                    Strike two !

Comment

Working...
                    X