win versus linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win versus linux

i saw the benchmarks for gaming... and i expected windows to win(!) but where are the rest of the benchmarks - filesystem, encryption, etc.. what happened?

I've simply been too busy at the moment doing other tests and such. One person can only do so much at a time The rest are still coming...
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by steve walton View Post
      i saw the benchmarks for gaming... and i expected windows to win(!) but where are the rest of the benchmarks - filesystem, encryption, etc.. what happened?
      I'd like to see benchmarks with compiz disabled and using the same driver versions (sic!). I expect Linux will be the winner.

Comment

I expect windows to be the winner.
        MS worries much more about speed than the linux/gnu/gnome/kde team. Instead, linux prefers to be a perfectly programmed SO. Yeah, that's better than a fast and crappy programmed software, but in speed benchmarks the first is the winner.

Those was for windows 98 for sure. But maybe with windows 7...

Comment

linux will win

dont get me wrong guys, i'm a linux user 100% since late 90's., but i still expected the 3d game stuff to be won by windows...they've done there benchmarks on many a site and tuned their drivers but i also expect linux to win every other benchmark.. i mostly want to see filesystem benchie's. NTFS is getting old and we have a chance of a WIN :-)

Comment

Originally posted by frostwarrior View Post
            I expect windows to be the winner.
            MS worries much more about speed than the linux/gnu/gnome/kde team. Instead, linux prefers to be a perfectly programmed SO. Yeah, that's better than a fast and crappy programmed software, but in speed benchmarks the first is the winner.

Those was for windows 98 for sure. But maybe with windows 7...
            Haha, good joke about speed! Linux just kills it in SMP. In graphics, Windows has won, because there was compiz enabled in Ubuntu and some people suspect Windows disables composition in some cases (like Kwin is supposed to do, but it seems it's not always working). Also, there were different nVidia graphic drivers used. Of course, WIndows can win some or many PTS benchmarks (like OS X is winning sometimes), but someone should ask if tests are meaningfull and fair. Phoronix benchmarks defaults (and this is nothing wrong when people are interested in out of the box performance), but it says not so much about maximum OS performance you can get in different cases (you can tune fs or change it to be much faster in some tests, afaik Ext3+writeback is much, much faster in PTS SQlite benchmark then Ext4).

Comment

Originally posted by steve walton View Post
              dont get me wrong guys, i'm a linux user 100% since late 90's., but i still expected the 3d game stuff to be won by windows...they've done there benchmarks on many a site and tuned their drivers but i also expect linux to win every other benchmark.. i mostly want to see filesystem benchie's. NTFS is getting old and we have a chance of a WIN :-)
              Look here:

It shows Linux isn't slower in 3D. :>

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                thanks, i missed that

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  "but i still expected the 3d game stuff to be won by windows."

READ the benches just BUY AMD hardware then Linux wins!
                  Just bought MORE AMD today. Bought a new Radeon HD 5750 from Sapphire!

Comment

are you kidding?

AMD graphics? are you kidding? I like playing my blu-ray collection without skipping. I'm sold on VDPAU. ( i use AMD CPU's though ).

Comment

Working...
                    X