Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WoP pk3's hunting for Ubuntu?

Hi

I am not much of a gamer, but my little one loves World of Padman, which is playing suprising well in my mode Radeon HD4350 with the open source driver in Kubuntu 10.04

Long story short, when he goes online to join a game server, the game starts downloadin custom "worlds" or "maps" or whatever that is, in the form of pk3 files. This process takes forever. And the ubuntu binaries come with a bunch of standard pk3's, but it seems that in most cases we are missing some. Is there a simple tarball I can download somewhere to have all possible pk3's so I he can actually play the game? Believe me, I googled for this

Thanks a lot for any help!

the PK3 files are basically zip files that contain all the level data, special sounds, textures, ect. WoP is using these to easily distribute an entire map package, or even a full modification. The possibilities of what they contain are rather limitless. Take it from me, i packaged enough of the fuckers back in the day.

This is most likely to be user generated content and as such is only limited by creativity. It is unlikely a package exists which contains every map or sound or anything that is used in WoP anywhere. So the answer is no.

The reason it is taking forever, to be quite frank, is that people are setting up the game servers on their home computers. The upstream bandwidth as you know is typically horrid. A 2mbit upstream connection does not go very far with more then 10 clients, let alone having to supply custom data. As a result the ones who suffer are you and me.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
      Hope that helps.
      It definitely does, I really appreciate you taking the time! I think I'll try to download some of these maps at night, sort of start the game and download as needed

Thanks so much, L33F3R!

Comment

You could also make a note of the maps, and then try to find better mirrors to download from. You'll have to install them manually of course, but it's usually only a matter of copying them to the right dirs.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
          You could also make a note of the maps, and then try to find better mirrors to download from. You'll have to install them manually of course, but it's usually only a matter of copying them to the right dirs.
          Yes, I tried that and it worked to some extent.But it is incredibly tedious, because for one particular server there may be 5 different pk3's, and once you sorted out one, googled, downloaded, etc, you try again just to find out 20 seconds later that you need a second one.

Such a shame, because the game is really nice, and sort of naive looking so I feel comfy having my son play it. Oh well! Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
          X