No announcement yet.

890GX/HD4290 dual display question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you try vesa/fglrx/windows and see it any of those work? I just tested my pciephy board and DP works fine (DP direct and DP->DVI). Have you tried booting with only the DP port connected? Does the bios come up on it in that case?

Comment

I will try Vesa.
      fglrx is difficult -- f12 won't boot this machine and fglrx doesn't like xserver 1.8. I can try an F12 unity spin, but the cable modem is really slow right now (weekend thing I guess...)

Just about to try W7/catalyst.

To be honest though, I am suspecting that this is a bios problem. I've sent the manufacturer tech support requests, but I doubt that they'll get back to me before monday.

Comment

I see no problem with xserver 1.8. The only patch i saw once forced 24 bit color depth, but usually

rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
        aticonfig --initial --nobackup

writes a correct xorg.conf.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          I see no problem with xserver 1.8. The only patch i saw once forced 24 bit color depth, but usually

rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
          aticonfig --initial --nobackup

writes a correct xorg.conf.
          Really? I'm looking at the release notes for the latest version posted on amd's website and it says xorg 7.5, which is xserver 1.7.

Anyways, windoze is a no-go. Not because the equipment didn't work, but because, not surprisingly, windoze is a no-go. Install catalyst, reboot, and BLACK SCREEN with a mouse pointer. Manually typing in the password (as a guess) yields a blue square. Ctrl-alt-delete makes it go blank again, escape brings back the blue square. What a piece of turd.

Comment

Well for the time being, at least until I can get some more information, I've shoved in my old nemesis 7800GTX. Nouveau is working well enough for it. I've got a Fedora unity respin of F12 on its way down, but it isn't going to be here for a while.

I hope that the manufacturer can give me *some* kind of information on this. Even if they say "sorry, its a broken bios..." at least I'll know.

fglrx on F13 appears to be a no-go. There's no packages anywhere, and the installer is very quick to barf.

Comment

I'll post here again if I come up with any more information.

Thanks for all the help (both of you). I really do appreciate it.

Comment

I tested maverick with my script, xserver 1.8.x was used there and driver 10-6.

Comment

I tested maverick with my script, xserver 1.8.x was used there and driver 10-6.
                  This is what it gives me with fglrx 10.6:
                  Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

(EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module requirement mismatch, 0)

Unity12 has finally arrived, I'm going to see if it'll work.

Comment

Maybe read what i worte: i do NOT test fedora.

Comment

Maybe read what i worte: i do NOT test fedora.
                      That's ok, I'm not worried about that. I do use Fedora, and it didn't work for me on Fedora 13.

But it *did* work for me on Fedora 12 Unity xserver 1.7...

sortof.

I got fglrx running. On one monitor -- connected to the DVI plug.

But what is interesting, despite still not working, is that it was able to detect that *something* was there on the DP. It wasn't able to do anything with it, but it DID KNOW that something was there, which is a lot more than I was previously able to get out of it.

This is the xorg log: http://pastebin.com/CaG86cs4
                      I don't think this is going to lead to any epiphanies. Though it is able to find *something* there, there is definitely a communications failure since it can't read the EDID, and though fglrx claims that it is activating it (at 640x480), there is no output on the monitor.

DisplayPort = Display0 = DFP1 = tmds1
                      DVI = Display1 = DFP2 = tmds2i

So basically one of two things;
                      1) it can still detect things on the DP even if the DP is disabled via bios bug, it just can't communicate properly,
                      2) that this DP is DP-only and doesn't work with DP-DVI passive adapters.

I'm going to see if I can find an active adapter from some store that allows returns.

Comment

Working...
                      X