Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How We Are Using Btrfs To Find Regressions Incredibly Fast

Phoronix: How We Are Using Btrfs To Find Regressions Incredibly Fast

In previous articles I have hinted that at Phoronix we are working to take advantage of the Btrfs file-system within the Phoronix Test Suite and Phoromatic to provide an interesting feature that will further expand our automated testing capabilities, but how does this file-system come into play? Well, here is what's being worked on and it should be of terrific value to many people.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah, yeah... you're so awesome

Could you turn down awesomeness a bit at least in titles. I know it's a sale pitch, but still...

Comment

Originally posted by hanglekuk View Post
      Could you turn down awesomeness a bit at least in titles. I know it's a sale pitch, but still...
      This actually is fairly awesome. I've complained about some of his previous titles ('official'? 'disaster'?) but this ones seems pretty decent to me.

Comment

LVM has had these kinds of snapshots for years. Indeed ask most competant system admins how they back-up their systems and chances are LVM shapshots will feature heavily.

I am still miffed as to why more distributions do not use LVM in their out of the box installs.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Comment

Hmm, I have to say, this is the first time I read about PTS, and actually got excited about it.

The feature he is discussing (the binary search) is pure awesomeness for me, a developer.

Thanks for seeding me with that idea Michael :-)

Comment

Hello there Phoronix-Team,
            I just read this article and I'm curious about the concept of sharing some test-systems to help testing and probably finding bugs in the kernel and other oss/gpl software.

Is the concept similar to i.e. sharing cpu/ram/time like Boinc?
            Well, I got a root server and a more than idling oversized-NAS back at home.
            In both cases I could offer some ressources to set up some VMs for regression testing the mentioned software packages/pieces for free.

What do you think about it?
            Is this said too easy?

Thanks for your reply.

Bye, darude

Comment

Originally posted by darude View Post
              Hello there Phoronix-Team,
              I just read this article and I'm curious about the concept of sharing some test-systems to help testing and probably finding bugs in the kernel and other oss/gpl software.

Is the concept similar to i.e. sharing cpu/ram/time like Boinc?
              Well, I got a root server and a more than idling oversized-NAS back at home.
              In both cases I could offer some ressources to set up some VMs for regression testing the mentioned software packages/pieces for free.

What do you think about it?
              Is this said too easy?

Thanks for your reply.

Bye, darude
              Yep, it's similar and that easy.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hi Michael,

that is really cool. The author of the article mentioned companies with ressources in their intranet.
                The question for me is, what effort is necessary to run an infrastructure which is any useful to the project.

For example: Are changes to the VM Host necessary or will there be basic VM templates to use.

Is there a dedicated website where this project belongs to?

Thanks.

Comment

that is really cool. The author of the article mentioned companies with ressources in their intranet.
                  I wrote the article, the code, and most everything else on Phoronix.

The question for me is, what effort is necessary to run an infrastructure which is any useful to the project.
                  Really it's minimal effort for the company setting it up.

For example: Are changes to the VM Host necessary or will there be basic VM templates to use.
                  It all depends upon the client's individual requirements.

Is there a dedicated website where this project belongs to?
                  Besides the info on http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/ and http://www.phoromatic.com/ not really at this time.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks Michael,

sorry for not getting that you're the author of the article and the PTS.

I got a lot to read to understand the sense of the Phoromatic Tracker and its purpose. I am most interested in doing regression testing of various opensource software packages.

To learn how this is done, I'm trying to install he PTS on for example Ubuntu 10.10 Alpha and send the results back to the tracker.

See you.

Comment

Working...
                    X