Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Publishes Code For X Synchronization Fences

Phoronix: NVIDIA Publishes Code For X Synchronization Fences

While NVIDIA may not release specifications for the GPU hardware or support any open-source drivers for their graphics processors after dropping their open-source X.Org driver, they do contribute a bit to the development of the X.Org Server. NVIDIA engineers like Aaron Plattner have contributed various patches and fixes against the server in the past and for features like VDPAU for DRI2. This afternoon there's a big patch-set coming out of NVIDIA that touches several X components. This set of patches adds support for X Synchronization Fences...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So ... I guess that a good thing those anoying screen tearing problems

Comment

So basicaly it's nothing other than:
      While all our competitors are releasing spec and work on FLOSS driver we even gone as far as totally removing our half-assed FLOSS driver and after we even wanted to put legacy cruft back into X.org because we don't care about modernising our blob code, we made a fancy FLOSS feature we contributed to X.org... Yeah we are awesome and have a fscked up sense for priorities.

Great nVidia. I'm realy impressed! I'm guessing my next card will be AMD|Ati once again...

Comment

Wait, X already had sync counters? Why all the sync issues then?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          Great nVidia. I'm realy impressed! I'm guessing my next card will be AMD|Ati once again...
          Call the care police?

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
            Call the care police?
            From the Oxford Dictionary:
            comment

? noun 1 a remark expressing an opinion or reaction. 2 discussion, especially of a critical nature, of an issue or event.

? verb express an opinion or reaction.

? ORIGIN Latin commentum ?contrivance, interpretation?, from comminisci ?devise?.
            Call God for granting you some insight?

Comment

gtfo

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              No really, call the care police. Like nVidia cares or even reads your trolling bullshit on forums?

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
                No really, call the care police. Like nVidia cares or even reads your trolling bullshit on forums?
                You still don't know what comments sections are for. It doesn't matter for I will just tell you again:
                A comment section is for discussing, but also for writing down reactions.

In this case my reaction was "Fsck you, nVidia".

Now if you want to play the carebear card then there are websites that are perfectly fit for such childish behavior:
                "/b/ - Random" is the birthplace of Anonymous, and where people go to discuss random topics and create memes on 4chan.

Comment

i cant figure out from this article what the advantage of this is?

Comment

I can't tell either, but i'm sure it's something that's beneficial to their proprietary driver. They wouldn't have bothered doing it otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                    X