5870 future prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exopaladin View Post
    For perspective, once the GTX 460 cards come out, I'll probably be selling the 5850 I currently own and be buying one of those. Unless 10.7 is an absolute miracle driver that fixes a long list of issues I've been having (doubtful, considering at least one of them hasn't even been acknowledged on the bug tracker), it's just not worth having an ATI card for me any more.

It's a never ending hassle dealing with their shoddy support for new versions of X and the Linux kernel, the OpenGL stack on 5 series cards has just been plain broken for ages with no FBO support in wine and a couple of native apps (console emulators mainly, might've been an actual native game) for <10.5 and broken OpenGL extensions in >=10.5 that cause crashing in certain native and wine games.

Then there's the choice of having to maintain a patched X server so that you can get decent 2D speed, or having their new 2D acceleration framework that's supposedly undergone months of testing and yet is still broken as hell for me. There were nasty problems with tearing on video for quite a while too, although that doesn't seem to be such an issue anymore.

If you want to be treated equally in terms of getting bugs fixed fairly quickly and in terms of feature parity, there really is no getting away from buying nVidia.

</rant>
    Agree 100% on this. Although, tearing is still an issue for me.

I too am considering buying an nVidia card. I built my new PC last month and have been suffering from the tearing issue ever since. Why am I here in this forum every day? I'll tell you why, ATI driver problems. I really don't want to hang out here.

I paid ~$300 for my HD5850 and I am considering buying some old nVidia card that can support desktop without tearing. In a few days or weeks, I'll reach the point where I'll make the jump to an nVidia card.

I just can't wait for that day any longer (ATI fixes tearing or new nVidia card fixes everything).

Comment

back in 2007 i drop nvidia and go the amd way.
      i came to this forum back in the beginning of 2008 because of fglrx problems.

do the last 2 years chance my view?

yes i now hate nvidia even more and i feel its more important to buy amd than any time before.

in my point of view cloused source drivers hurt linux and i'm a phoronix forum user because i have problems with the closed source driver FGLRX back in 2008.... before that i have problems with the nvidia cloused source drivers.

you can be sure cloused source drivers just hurt linux and all other opensource OS'ses ..

and any people like kano just fail on that point kano for example do have many Bluerays and we wana watch that crap accelerate bye the GPU kano also uses Vista Windows and all people believe kano but they don't get the point that kano isn't a linux user and he support DRM and clouses systems by spending a lot of money on orginal Bluerays and all his response are just crap because normal linux users can't play any blueray! because of copy-protection and DRM mybe he uses windows-Vista+any-DVD to make images for his linux but this isn't a solution for an REAKL 100% linux user like my person is.
      kano is just Judas hurt linux.......

same problem by bridgman he never uses the internet like i use the internet because he do have a 24kbps modem line only funktional working in windows VISTA ..................
      he really try his best to understand the modern world really bridgman is a nice guy bit yes....... he really needs a upgrade.

this fake (not linux users) can't ever feel like a true newage internet-focused opensource-OS user.

a modern open-mindet internet user never ever BUY a Blueray like kano because this kind of thinking is a outdated not internet based solution.

bridgman do have blueray player to and big TV screen...... but yes he fails to because of 24k-modem?

every nvidia buyer just hurt open-minted people like me and they hurt opensource OSes i hope they burn in hell!
      Kids, this is why you should say no to drugs

Seriously, you've turned this into an attack about open vs. closed drivers and have profiled a few users. Take it to another thread will ya?

To the original poster's question, I'd say emergence said it best. If you're waiting for new things and are happy with current state, stick w/ ATI. If you need the current state to be more evolved, go with Nvidia. Nothing more to say here.

Comment

Originally posted by Exopaladin View Post
        or having their new 2D acceleration framework that's supposedly undergone months of testing and yet is still broken as hell for me.
        With respect, where are you getting these "supposedly" statements from ? We have only made one statement about the new 2D accel, that it is still in development but that 10.6 was the first release where we felt that the code had progressed enough to enable it by default, with an easy way to to turn it off in case of problems on certain systems or apps.

Did someone from AMD tell you different ?
        Test signature

Comment

@Qaridarium

It is possible to watch bluray WITHOUT creating an image first when you use vbox + win and export the decrypted content. That's very fast do do on the fly, just additional 256 mb ram and a bit extra for vbox needed for that.

You definitely can use native linux players to watch.

Comment

First of all it is called Bluray and when you have got a full hd display you usually want to watch full hd content. If you want to talk about Judas go to a priest. I prefer working solutions and no ideological bullshit like you.

Comment

Buy a more economical video card according to your actual needs. Then on 2011-2012 buy another economical card for your future needs (you don't know yet). Nvidia and ATI are always making profit of plp who want their latest hardware and this hardware is over-priced. They are playing you, and you consent.

Spending 650$ for linux + wine is a waste of performance and money, you are wasting 50% of this monstrous card brute force on the vast majority of wine games, you can play at the same performance using a 200$ ati card on windows.

Well, this is at least my point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                Buy a more economical video card according to your actual needs. Then on 2011-2012 buy another economical card for your future needs
                I have to agree with Jimbo here. This is also usually my approach. And I don't even think that the card's power will be "wasted" on linux, but rather that most people don't need the most powerful harware availabe. The real performance difference won't be so great as the numbers make it seem. Can you tell the difference between 60FPS and 70FPS? And that might be the difference between a 200$ and a 500$ card. And on top of all that you might see a big difference in performance today from a medium and a high-end card, but in 3 years they will both be crap.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                  I don't even think that the card's power will be "wasted" on linux, but rather that most people don't need the most powerful harware availabe.
                  I really think the card's power will be "wasted" on linux. Some numbers from Dan Kegel (wine devel) from may-2010:

Ubuntu: 6 runs
                  3dmark2000: min 4145, median 4154, max 4170
                  3dmark2001: min 18884, median 19261, max 19520
                  3dmark2006: min 17315, median 18154, max 18498

Vista: 2 runs:
                  3dmark2000: 8206, 8219
                  3dmark2006: 30278, 32384

I usually experience similar numbers on games I play.

On linux side, I think there are not yet a very high demanding game that really requires the power of an ati 5870.

If he plans to window gaming with the card, then it seems a little reasonable purchase, but I think there are better economical options available. Really, setting the texture quality from high to highest or shadows... doesn't change the game a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    With respect, where are you getting these "supposedly" statements from ? We have only made one statement about the new 2D accel, that it is still in development but that 10.6 was the first release where we felt that the code had progressed enough to enable it by default, with an easy way to to turn it off in case of problems on certain systems or apps.

Did someone from AMD tell you different ?
                    Sorry, just random statements from people around that forum that sound like they've at least seen changelogs or tested it. Nobody I can specifically name off the top of my head.

Comment

Got it. Just to avoid misunderstandings, the code has been in *development* for months but that's not the same as "undergoing months of testing". We know it still needs work but feedback so far suggests that most users were happy with the new code (and the improved 2D performance under a compositor), and that only a minority (albeit a non-trivial minority) were using apps/toolkits which resulted in artifacts.

re: the OpenGL problems that you mentioned having been "broken for ages", my understanding was that the problems appeared in 10.6, possibly as a side-effect of the OpenGL 4.0 changes. Did you find the problems also existed with Cat 10.5 ?
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X