Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 10.04: fglrx freezes at splash

Hi all,

I'm running a desktop PC with a Radeon HD 3850 256mb video card, and I haven't been able to get fglrx with any version of the driver that supports Ubuntu 10.04. I also have a laptop with an ATI 3450, but the drivers have had no problem on that device.

When I install the driver (normally using the package build method, but I have tried a direct install) and reboot, Ubuntu boots only up to the point of the splash screen, stuck there as it tries to load X.

I have pastebins of my xorg.conf and xorg.0.log files.

xorg.conf:

Xorg.0.log:

The log says it can't find an ACPI file, but I'm not sure if it is relevant. I have tried running:
    Code:
    aticonfig --acpi-services=off
    but to no avail. My BIOS drivers are fully updated (Motherboard is an ASUS M2NPV-VM)

I've had this issue back since Ubuntu 9.10, but havent put in the time to work at it. I've been hoping for an improved driver but it hasn't fixed my issue.

If anyone knows of a solution to this, I'd be thrilled

Have you tried removing the graphics card and booting? Also try booting from live cd with acpi turned off.

Ubuntu 10.04 is one of the most shittest operating system to run with an old ATI Radeon card, their new xserver version does not support older cards, plus there is so many bugs. I switched to Debian because of them.

Your xorg.conf looks alright,but I am not sure. Try deleting it doesnt xorg automatically make one or you dont need one am I right?

If there is ever problems you can always try the integrated graphics. NVIDIA integrated graphics Geforce 6150 might beat the card you have their if you are running for performance under linux.

I have the same motherboard as you and I use the integrated graphics, but I have used an AMD ATI Radeon 9550 card and it was horrible with 10.04

There was also so many bugs, made me stop using it on my Intel machine completely.

This is the first time I met someone with the same motherboard as me, made me register and become a user at these forums, nice to meet you all

Comment

lol what an entrance. Welcome to Phoronix.

Comment

Welcome to the world of self stabbing FGLRX users.

Comment

Try booting in recovery mode, then re-install the ati driver. I find that this is needed everytime there is a kernel update.

Good luck!

Comment

Try booting in recovery mode, then re-install the ati driver. I find that this is needed everytime there is a kernel update.

Good luck!

Comment

Haha thanks for the responses.

I've tried various methods of reinstalling different versions of fglrx but nothing has worked so far. It works fine with the default open source drivers but they don't work with 3D games such as through wine too well (yet).

Unfortunately I need an xorg.conf file that specifies fglrx to load, otherwise it uses another driver that barely works.

My main issue at the moment is I can't send a bug report to ATI because, as far as the logs show, nothing is going wrong. It just gets to the splash screen and stays there (or if i turn splash off, just stays locked up at the text screen before X loads).

If at the very least I can get a log with shows a crash happening, it'll be a step in the right direction. Does anyone know how to get more detailed log?

Comment

U have nforce 430 chipset and this is the problem. U can google fglrx = no go where i wrote about my problem on gentoo forums, also i wrote few posts here on phoronix about it. Only catalyst 9.9 works properly with this chipset. U can check ati unofficial bugzilla http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1794 I really really hope this will be fixed in cat 10.7.

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
                  U have nforce 430 chipset and this is the problem. U can google fglrx = no go where i wrote about my problem on gentoo forums, also i wrote few posts here on phoronix about it. Only catalyst 9.9 works properly with this chipset. U can check ati unofficial bugzilla http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1794 I really really hope this will be fixed in cat 10.7.
                  Yep, this is my exact problem. I'll add my issue to this bug report and hopefully it gets fixed. Thanks phoen1x

Comment

I forgot to mention that cat 9.9 only works with xorg-server 1.6.x and kernel 2.6.30

Comment

Working...
                    X