XvBA on Evergreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XabiX View Post
    Page 19: Please note the HDMI audio output only supports AC3, DTS and 2-channel-LPCM formats. (AC3 and DTS require the use of an external decoder for decoding.)
    If you have a surround receiver supporting AC3/DTS decoding (most surround receivers produced after 2000 do), "mplayer -ac hwdts,hwac3, -ao alsa" using a coaxial or optical cable connected to SPDIF should result in 5.1 output on the receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      I'm still a bit in the dark, you have a Yamaha decoder/amp to pipe DTS to, which should be supported (as reads in the manual)?
      Yes Curaga you should be right. I think I read this too quick and my 1st focus was that I spent so much time to try to make the interlace mode working that I decided to buy a graphical card.

If some people are interested here is the info about intel drivers and interlace mode:
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/568533

As I never add 1080i with the intel I can't really compare the video decoding as now I am in 1080p vs 1280x720 before.

If I understand there is nothing special to be done today to get a better experience with the evergreen cards than waiting that the drivers provide some GPU capabilities?

Thanks
      XabiX

Comment

If I understand there is nothing special to be done today to get a better experience with the evergreen cards than waiting that the drivers provide some GPU capabilities?
        Just make sure you try the various options for GL output (rather than Xv) provided by your player.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Just make sure you try the various options for GL output (rather than Xv) provided by your player.
          I will give them a try. Should I try also gl2?

I don't know if opengl can impact vnc sessions are not but I know that if I select gl within mythtv for example I can't see through vnc the screens.

I ll report what I found for anyone benefit.

Cheers and thanks Bridgman (is your nickname bc you are doing somehow the bridge between ATI dev and linux users?)

XabiX

Comment

Yes, IIRC the gl2 options often work better.

Bridgman is my real name. Not sure of the history, presumably an ancestor either designed bridges, worked on a bridge, or lived under a bridge
            Test signature

Comment

Yes, IIRC the gl2 options often work better.

Bridgman is my real name. Not sure of the history, presumably an ancestor either designed bridges, worked on a bridge, or lived under a bridge
              lol I like the last one option, Bridgman.

My last name means the big table so it s worth

At least we have a roof and a table ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by zhark View Post
                If you have a surround receiver supporting AC3/DTS decoding (most surround receivers produced after 2000 do), "mplayer -ac hwdts,hwac3, -ao alsa" using a coaxial or optical cable connected to SPDIF should result in 5.1 output on the receiver.
                I looked at the settings and it shows still stereo under lucid sound settings. I had the same with the Intel HD graphics and now I have still stereo shown with the ATI card.

I did re install in between.

Is this normal? I will have to look and test if this is just a display issue.

Code:
                **** Liste des PLAYBACK p?riph?riques ****
                Home directory /home/xabix not ours.
                carte  0: Intel [HDA Intel], p?riph?rique 0 : ALC889 Analog [ALC889 Analog]
                  Sous-p?riph?riques: 1/1
                  Sous-p?riph?rique: #0: subdevice #0
                carte  0: Intel [HDA Intel], p?riph?rique 1 : ALC889 Digital [ALC889 Digital]
                carte  1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], p?riph?rique 3 : ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
                `
                Cheers
                XabiX

Comment

I will give them a try. Should I try also gl2?

I don't know if opengl can impact vnc sessions are not but I know that if I select gl within mythtv for example I can't see through vnc the screens.

I ll report what I found for anyone benefit.

Cheers and thanks Bridgman (is your nickname bc you are doing somehow the bridge between ATI dev and linux users?)

XabiX

So with mplayer here are the results for a H264 file:
                  gl is the best but takes around 85% of one cpu
                  gl((yuv) comes after with 75%
                  gl(quick for ATI) around 75%
                  xv(avivo) is good too.

with a DVD CPU is very low 16%

I will keep gl for now even if it s not perfect with DVD.

Thanks
                  XabiX

Comment

You might want to play with gl sub-options as well. Maybe try something like mplayer -vo gl:yuv=2:rectangle=1..

The first option should reduce CPU load by doing YUV-RGB conversion on the GPU rather than the CPU, second option should reduce memory usage by using non-power-of-two textures. Default for both of the sub-options is 0.
                    Test signature

Comment

You might want to play with gl sub-options as well. Maybe try something like mplayer -vo gl:yuv=2:rectangle=1..

The first option should reduce CPU load by doing YUV-RGB conversion on the GPU rather than the CPU, second option should reduce memory usage by using non-power-of-two textures. Default for both of the sub-options is 0.
                      Thanks Bridman for the info.

For everyone info, SMplayer provides a good abstraction layer on top on Mplayer and also provides direct configuration of gl(yuv).

FYI here is my SMplayer video config:
                      • Enable post-processing by default (quality set to 6 by default) (not set)
                      • Deinterlace by default to what? (set to none)
                      • Use sw video equalizer (not set)
                      • direct rendering? (not set)
                      • Double buffering? (set)
                      • Draw video using slices? (set)

If you think that I should change it plz let me know.

Merci
                      XabiX

Comment

Working...
                      X