No announcement yet.

A Five-Way Linux Distribution Comparison In 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it seems archlinux is the distro of choice for angry kids.

Comment

Arch, an ancient African word meaning i'm up my own arse.

Anyway humor aside there is a clear way to fix this Michael. If i was you i would invite one Gentoo pro, an Arch pro, an Ubuntu pro etc to set up a system of yours via ssh tunnel, let them configure it and then let them duke it out in the benchmarks.

Linux Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
        Unfortunately you are not specifying what hardware/drivers you are using for arch, so i'm assuming you are using Radeon Drivers (blob) as in the others benchmarks.
        Miss this paragraph at the start?

Our test system was a Lenovo ThinkPad T60 notebook with an Intel Core Duo T2400 (1.83GHz dual-core) CPU, 1GB of system memory, an 80GB Hitachi HTS541080G9SA00 SATA HDD, and ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 graphics. Below are some of the key software components for the different distributions that were tested in this article.
        This display driver version is listed in the OS summaries right under it. Such as:

openSUSE 11.3 RC1:
        OS: SUSE LINUX 11.3, Kernel: 2.6.34-9-default (i686), Desktop: KDE 4.4.3, Display Server: X.Org Server 1.8.0, Display Driver: radeon 6.13.0, OpenGL: 1.5 Mesa 7.8.1, Compiler: GCC 4.5, File-System: ext4

Comment

Originally posted by xir_ View Post
          Arch, an ancient African word meaning i'm up my own arse.

Anyway humor aside there is a clear way to fix this Michael. If i was you i would invite one Gentoo pro, an Arch pro, an Ubuntu pro etc to set up a system of yours via ssh tunnel, let them configure it and then let them duke it out in the benchmarks.

Linux Olympics.
          Sure, who does the blood doping tests?

Comment

The Linux distros are having a five way...

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Sure, who does the blood doping tests?

debian .

Comment

Originally posted by xir_ View Post
                debian .
                Debian? They are as corrupt as the Russian figure skating judges.

Comment

Someone watches figure skating?!?

Comment

but boring as hell.

Well my other suggestion was going to be stallman, but i thought better of it.

Comment

So because the author of this article couldn't setup the arch system properly arch is bad and slow? How awesome. It's this kind of crap that makes me sigh at phoronix all too frequently these days.

Comment

Working...
                      X