No announcement yet.

Is LGP Going The Way Of Loki Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Is grateful to Slashdot for finally noticing that LGP exists, after militantly ignoring any game release we have made for the last 5 years, as soon as reports of our death come through, we get a front page story. Slashdot - Your support of Linux is inspirational.
    For others who wonder, we are very much alive. We have had a couple of staffing issues on the admin side of things, which explains most of our silence, but work is progressing on more than one unannounced title. We will offer further updates as and when there is news to update you with."

Linux Game Publishing - Producing commercial games for Linux

Comment

LGP isn't dead. Read up on one of the other threads. This article is a bit...misleading, in my personal opinion.
      And seriously, stop with the plugging away about steam on linux. It doesn't exist, there's no word from Valve that it exists, no indication that it will exist. The binaries could have been one of their engineers playing around with things as a side project.

Comment

Is LGP Going the way of Loki

No.

June 23rd 2010:
        "Is grateful to Slashdot for finally noticing that LGP exists, after militantly ignoring any game release we have made for the last 5 years, as soon as reports of our death come through, we get a front page story. Slashdot - Your support of Linux is inspirational.
        For others who wonder, we are very much alive. We have had a couple of staffing issues on the admin side of things, which explains most of our silence, but work is progressing on more than one unannounced title. We will offer further updates as and when there is news to update you with."

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
          No.

June 23rd 2010:
          So, I checked, and yup, it is true. Slashdot has not reported on any LGP games they released recently. Love his sarcasm.

Still, I think, that relaunching the tuxgames site, (to make it look like GoG, or other such sites) could do them great.

The first time I found it, I was skeptical to spend any money there. I finally did buy 1 item as a test, and then a lot later on.

Sigh

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
            So, I checked, and yup, it is true. Slashdot has not reported on any LGP games they released recently. Love his sarcasm.

Still, I think, that relaunching the tuxgames site, (to make it look like GoG, or other such sites) could do them great.

The first time I found it, I was skeptical to spend any money there. I finally did buy 1 item as a test, and then a lot later on.

Sigh
            I think he has plans for that sort of thing- I know that was on his list of things to do.

But, if he's managing two or more ports himself (the role Mike Phillips held down from the onset of things...) then he might be a bit more busy than one would think and things might be slipping through the cracks on him like we're seeing.

As for his sarcasm, it's more due to ire at all of this than anything else. He doesn't call out Phoronix for only one reason, I think- they've at least been tracking everything else they've done in the large for a while now in addition to this debatable piece of "news" on the site right now.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
              That is great news! Nothing better than LGP delivering good games to linux. (I must admit my previous statement was too "edgy", because I'm a bit frustrated by the lack of good commercial games for linux. And so far I don't think LGP are delivering the kind of games that I like. (Morrowind, DragonAge, TrackMania, Quake/Unreal/QW:ET)

I would love Linux being at least up to par with mac as a gaming platform, and preferably much better!

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                in that point of view DIE LGP! DIE!
                I don't agree with his DRM choice, but I'm strongly suspecting that it came about because he wouldn't have gotten Sacred otherwise, along with what he's possibly working on right now. The industry's enamored with DRM except with stuff like the nostalgia stuff or most of the Indie stuff. They're addicted to it and as a reality of things, if that's what you need to have for AAA titles, it's a "choose" time for each and every one of you.

Either you pick to deal with DRM as best you can...or you do without those titles you've all been bitching about not having or LGP not porting and maybe play them on a PS3 or Wii if they're there.

Seriously.

As long as there's idiots like EA out there, you're going to have to deal with DRM on the Linux platform or do without those titles in toto- you're not going to get it both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by bell View Post
                  And so far I don't think LGP are delivering the kind of games that I like. (Morrowind, DragonAge, TrackMania, Quake/Unreal/QW:ET)
                  Got a quarter mil burning a hole in your pocket? You can get them over to Linux for about $100-250k for EACH TITLE.

The only way you're going to see those titles (or ones like them...) in the short term is if the publishers have a change of heart on Linux support themselves, or if I win the PowerBall or MegaMillions Lotto.

Seriously.

The publishers want insane amounts of money for AAA titles- just to get a peek at the code.

The amounts go down if they think they can get more out of the royalties deal they cut you when they agree to allow you to port. If they think you'll sell 10k units of the title, they allow it for 20-50k and gouge you a bit on the royalties.

The only way you're going to see less on those figures right now is if you're heavily connected to people high up within the publisher and get a sweetheart deal on things. Loki got a few of those, just so you know, and they screwed things up with some mis-management at the wrong times (which included getting too many sweetheart deals- they couldn't execute fast enough and sell enough to offset even those expenses...). I don't see us getting that sort of deal anytime soon.

MacOS happens to have stuff on their platform, less because the studios cared and more because the userbase bought what was initially ventured, bravely mind, under the conditions I allude to above. At 10k units sold at the typical retail price, there's enough profit within two titles to actually brave doing a third- and if you get a sweetheart deal and execute well, you're positioned for the next title after the first two.

Comment

I suggest everyone boycott LGP until they drop DRM from their games. If they insist on providing software with DRM, they deserve to fail.

On the other hand, if they do abolish DRM, every GNU/Linux user should buy at least one game from them, if only to support the idea of non-DRM ridden game on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by bell View Post
                      Sounds like an epic endeavor I wish you all the best! (I'm pretty confident that you already know how much work this is, and how many game developers that fail miserably? Compared to how few that really succeed)
                      If I break into your house late at night when you're in REM sleep and wake you up and ask you what the three best, still played and most memmorial and legendary games of all time are, chances are extremely high it will be:
                      1. Pac Man
                      2. Tetris
                      3. Pong

You know why? Because of the gameplay. How many devs does it take to make such a game and how long? 1 dev and about half a year in spare time.

Now then as I already pointed out I am not going to make a 1080p HD Holywood sript game...

Comment

Working...
                      X