Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoops, X.Org Server 1.9 Gets Another RC Today

Phoronix: Whoops, X.Org Server 1.9 Gets Another RC Today

The second X.Org Server 1.9 release candidate was released earlier today after the first RC making it out just last week, but already the third release candidate is available to interested parties...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now I wish Nvidia will maintain the cruft they forced back in X... right?

Comment

So ATi constantly needs to catch up with X.org, but nVidia can just keep their legacy code? OK - What da fsck?!

Let those muthafsckers work around it or som'?

Comment

it's sad to see xorg strive to maintain compatibility with nvidia blob.

i guess that explains what driver are most xserver devs running.

Comment

I don't see why you're complaining. Compared to NViDIA, ATI has just abandoned us. What good is releasing documents doing for us? Its great that we have acceptable opensource drivers, but not more than that. It seems they're only doing it to release pressure. Do you see anyone complaining about NViDIA drivers the way we see complaining about ATI drivers?

Comment

BTW there are FLOSS drivers for every graphics card out there so why does X still cares about the nVidia blob? X.org already has Noveau for HW accel =S

Leave the gaming performance to Mesa...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              So ATi constantly needs to catch up with X.org, but nVidia can just keep their legacy code? OK - What da fsck?!

Let those muthafsckers work around it or som'?
              Exactly. It's just a joke! Ban this crap. It seems only Linux devs have balls to play with nvidia their way.

@MiUX

Do you see anyone complaining about NViDIA drivers the way we see complaining about ATI drivers?
              There are many people doing this, but in the different places like nvforums and nvidia nearly doesn't care about Linux users. AMD at least released documentation and works on Open Source drivers.

Comment

Why do they care? It's a bleeding edge RC server, do people actually expect to run blobs on that?

Anyway, 2000 lines just for nvidia..

Comment

Yeh, get rid of nVidia. That'll show 'em.

Way to go, get rid of the Linux graphics solution with the best all-round functionality and performance. We don't need their kind round 'ere. Who needs working graphics anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                    Yeh, get rid of nVidia. That'll show 'em.

Way to go, get rid of the Linux graphics solution with the best all-round functionality and performance. We don't need their kind round 'ere. Who needs working graphics anyway?
                    Excuse me while I am trying to not shout out in caps what I feel like when I am talking to you:
                    1. nVidia has working graphics? Cool, now how about that K-M-fscking-S for starters?
                    2. Point me to a graphics card that is still in use that is not fully accelerating X.org due to driver difficiency.
                    3. Point me to a driver that has slower 2D performance than nVidia's blob.

So X.org should not care about that blob because it simply works with all cards. Period.

What is needed than? Ow I get it: if you want to runs games than nVidia's blob is required and if you can't run X than you're screwed. So what's the problem? X? No it is Mesa. If nVidia would just only release a blob that can slide in place with the Noveau driver and add some (note: not IP/patent/copyright-ridden) FLOSS voltage controll and standby stuff to Noveau than problem solved!

What are we even talking about here?

Comment

Working...
                    X