Skype Launches SkypeKit SDK For Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
    I've never actually used SIP, but if I understand it correctly with SIP it's rather difficult to make a phone call to a normal household phone.
    That's an illusion. With SIP (a protocol, not a company or such) you can buy dial-in and dial-out from a lot of different providers. For skype (protocol and provider) it seems simpler because it's a one-stop-shop.

I admit the configuration of linux SIP clients for various providers used to be a bit awkward, but it has gotten much better now. The only crappy SIP client I still have is on my NOKIA (Symbian) phone. But of course that has 'political' reasons...

Comment

The killer missing feature in SIP for me is the lack of mandatory encryption (mandatory as in every client has to implement, not as in mandatory in every connection).

Now there's what, two clients that support any kind of encryption at all?

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
        Leave the cheap rethoric for somebody else.
        Firstly, I can't agree more with this statement. I guess it shouldn't surprise me these days that some want to blame end users for the short comings of a particular solution because it's so common to do so. Common to do so, but not right to do so.

Skype uses a lot of clever tricks to pass through firewalls, routers and whatever network configuration users happen to be using. This means that it simply works without requiring any sort of user intervention.
        This is an absolutely huge one in Skypes favour.

On the other hand, you only have to take a look at Ekiga's FAQ. They actually have a whole section dealing with NAT issues. It is unreasonable to expect people to deal with this when other solutions work transparently. If today Ekiga's configuration wizard actually makes a half-decent job and it works regardless of whether you are using your home network or that of, say, your University, I applaud them. It surely wasn't the case not so long ago.
        I too wanted to communicate with others via an open standard, but unless I wanted to visit each and every individual in order to enable their machines before I could actually call them it wasn't really an option. Given that VOIP is being used to avoid hopping in the car, to require it before a call could be made is madness. With Skype I could get them to go to a web page, download a program, and a few clicks later be communicating which was very much not the case with Ekiga. I can want people to use open standards all I want but until there are compelling solutions that are open it's not gunna happen.

Comment

I hate Skype as much as the next FOSS bigot and news of a closed SDK makes me cringe even more, but the biggest downfall of SIP (and XMPP for that matter) is our continued reliance on IPv4 and NAT. The existing work arounds (ICE, STUN, NAT-PMP, etc.) are all shakey hacks for the biggest hack on the internet: NAT. Want to see SIP/XMPP flourish? Start petitioning your ISPs to hurry the hell up with IPv6 roll out and put NAT where it belongs - in a graveyard.

Comment

sipVoipSdk

"I had the similiar problem and finally I found solution:
            www.sipVoipSdk.com"

Comment

sipVoipSdk

I had the similiar problem and finally I found solution:
              www.sipVoipSdk.com

Comment

sipVoipSdk

I had the similiar problem and finally I found solution:
                www.sipVoipSdk.com