Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nvidia Optimus: The End for nvidia on linux laptops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gamesfan View Post
    I've sent email to Asus support, the best answer I could get that no BIOS option is available to do switching...
    I've also posted weeks ago on the 'official' NVidia Linux Support forum here :

Still no answer from anyone at Nvidia...

I'm opening a new thread to ask them to clarify their position about Optimus on Linux :

Please voice yourself up there since there's much more probability it will be seen by NVidia people there than over here at Phoronix
    You're right. I hope nvidia can clarify this. If not, at least we could ask Michael to raise the visibility of this subject, so users at least know what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
      You're right. I hope nvidia can clarify this. If not, at least we could ask Michael to raise the visibility of this subject, so users at least know what to expect.
      Very good idea indeed.
      Until now, people expect good Linux support from Nvidia, I've been really surprised when I realized I could not use at all the GPU on my new "Optimus-disabled" Asus U30JC...
      If I knew beforehand about this I might have gone for another NVidia-only model (at least, while they do still exist as you very well said... :/ ), so it would be nice for more people to know and not feel cheated after the fact.

Comment

So, it seems Aaron Plattner has confirmed some of our fears:
        Apparently, this depends on the laptop. Some laptops have a hardware mux that allows you to switch the display to the NVIDIA GPU, similarly to how the old Hybrid Graphics worked. On those laptops, there should be a BIOS setting.

On laptops that don't have that hardware mux (i.e. where the display is hard-wired to the Intel display engine), then you currently cannot use the NVIDIA GPU for display, though you should still be able to use it for CUDA and offscreen rendering.

We currently do not have plans to support display on Optimus systems where the display is connected to the Intel hardware, but as you said, it's something we'll probably end up having to look into in the future, to at least provide some basic display sharing. I can't promise anything, though.
        I hope it really starts working again in the future. In the meantime, I would say avoid optimus unless you can try out the laptop and see that there is a bios option for choosing the nvidia gpu...

Comment

Not wishing to be cynical or fanatic here, but,,, I would say avoid any graphics company that doesn't provide ANY form of open-source support. This wouldn't be such a big problem for ATI graphics for the simple reason someone would get it working in the Foss drivers even if AMD/ATI don't.

This kind of behaviour is, essentially, what RMS is referring to in his arguments about closed source software meaning accepting someone as your master.

Comment

This is a very sad situation for people owning such laptops.

It was only a few days ago that people vehemently argued that Nvidia would never drop Linux support. Well, probably not completely, but there is always danger of ending in this sort of situation and having absolutely no way of using your hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
              This kind of behaviour is, essentially, what RMS is referring to in his arguments about closed source software meaning accepting someone as your master.
              And he featured the very famous "Don't buy from ATI enemies of our freedom" campain. Nowadays he would probably have to replace ATI with NVIDIA. Who would have thought, three years ago, that by now the best option for linux graphics would be ATI/AMD. Even Intel graphics are becoming more difficult to recommend, due to the low performance linux driver and the poulsbo mess. Maybe in a few years we will all be recommending S3 graphics, or Trident, or Number9 Who knows...

Comment

Working...
              X