Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is AMD's New 2D Acceleration Architecture Still Slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i gived a try and well yes perceptible faster 2d is actually there, after who knows freaking much fglrx is finally able to manage an over avarage performance in 2d desktops so +1 for a2daa AMD (i suppose is not using opencl/stream cuz that will make me sad).

now the ugly part:

1. even when 2d is faster unlike FOSS there is a bunch of corruption going on (it make me remember the first days of Xgl lol). to be more precise im using qt4.7 with kde 4.4 with the normal share of gtk apps like firefox, inkscape, gimp, chromium, etc.

A The most common error is kwin texture disapearing until i resize the windows aka everything upthere is black. happens with and without composite and doesnt happen with foss

B When you fast scroll stuff like complex art in scribus with lots of text and text effects it lags like crazy , with foss is perfectly fluid

C Moving windows in composite mode generate a lot of jitter, could be solvable with vsync but is not working for me very well, ill check that later but foss without vsync doesnt have that issues

D Another no good release for xvba, if you actually made it work and it actually render the video semi decently go back to 10.4 and wait 10.7 (yes kano i tried every fragging combination, your script, some gentoo ebuilds too, from sources, 2 different pc's, clean installs, and it use my cpu's like crazy + the zillion artifacts) (i got the latest kanotix from here http://debian.tu-bs.de/kanotix/KANOT...oo3-2.6.32.iso) (on the gentoo side i tried sabayon 5.3 and many ebuilds)(i tested it in a 3rd 1 tb disk outside my kubuntu enviroment, both my gfx are 4850x2 and tried with crossfire disabled wich improved a bit but is still too much pain in my ass, im just happy that i bought my coolermaster v10 cooler, this baby at 4ghz per core play 1080p bluray like rate perfectly fluid with the FOSS, so that good enough for me for now)

E Wine improved a bit, at least many games actually run but all of them got a very nasty lag like clock work every 15sec(could be crossfire ) and in many games shadows and reflections looks really weird too, meshes light in many games looks like zigzaged too

F Adobe flash 10.1 improved a bit when it works, this new flash die a fragging lot with everything but nvidia, Long Live to HTML5

G kwin and compiz fails a looooot until they accept to engeage composited mode or kill the whole X to ground lol and ofc every restart kwin activate in suspended composite mode, well this ones are in the oldies and unloved ones

H another oldies, fglrx control center is a piece of useless ******, plz release a tool set so dekstop enviroments can create more professional control center and finally get rid of that piece of junk (same goes to nvidia btw)

Comment

for all those smilies blame the emoticon parser, i made it very readable with ident an all but the emoticon parser have a mind of his own

Comment

Is there anybody still using this stinky piece of chiwawa crap catalyst?

Comment

I pity you all Catalyst users, you don't have no idea of what a perfect composite desktop from nVidia feels like. All the things you ever dreamed about in Linux desktop are already there several years ago. Just get yourself a piece of the lowest eng 8400GS and prepare to be blown away by the quality of nVidia driver.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            I pity you all Catalyst users, you don't have no idea of what a perfect composite desktop from nVidia feels like. All the things you ever dreamed about in Linux desktop are already there several years ago. Just get yourself a piece of the lowest eng 8400GS and prepare to be blown away by the quality of nVidia driver.
            funny, i decided to go the amd route cause i got tired of graphics driver induced hardlocks on the nvidia side.

sure, catalyst has its issues, and while very good for non-3d usage the OSS driver is still somewhat gaming limited, but i'll take either of those over random hardlocks.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
              another oldies, fglrx control center is a piece of useless ******, plz release a tool set so dekstop enviroments can create more professional control center and finally get rid of that piece of junk (same goes to nvidia btw)
              I can't say anything for AMD, but I do know that the nvidia-settings application is open source, so anyone who wanted to could update it or integrate it into a system-settings style of program.

Comment

You mean "sucked away", because nvidia and 2D sucks badly. And "several years ago" it was even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
                  I can't say anything for AMD, but I do know that the nvidia-settings application is open source, so anyone who wanted to could update it or integrate it into a system-settings style of program.
                  yes you are rigth but i think i didnt write that line rigth, let me expand a bit more.

the issues is not the source code but the lack of the windows feature available to be accesed from a linux perspective and that is for both nvidia and amd(amd seems to have some libs here some apps there but nothing too proffesional either)

what i think is needed is an official sdk of the internals gpu stuff like temperature, 3d options, 2d options if any, crossfire, fan speed, etc. that way any desktop enviroment can have a real control center with at least the important functions common to windows.

in the case of nvidia is the same(except for the free scode), they only expose the bare minimun possible to be able to read some setting here and there but with that source you cannot expose the same feature of its windows counterpart (well getting very dirty and hackish maybe)

Comment

i use the FOSS driver 99,9% of the time, fglrx is only to ventilate my frustation for a couple of days

and btw except for 3d and vdpau the foss driver is pawning both !!togheter!!

now is true too that if you want a better supported linux card with closed drivers for stuff like 3ddesign, gaming, accel video(that works!!) or opencl, nvidia is still your only choice(btw 2d in nvidia is a bit slowinh too but at least it render very good and vdpau is actually pretty stable and get the job done)

Comment

before flames begin, i know vaapi an xvba work for some ppl, but for non geek users that mess is unusable for now, beside is not even officially released. on the other hand vdpau is pretty much automatic these days and do its job fairly well regardless the ambient is composited or not.

ofc in any case users still need to choose the rigth vo and other issues so is less easy than windows or mac but nothing is unsolvable using google

Comment

Working...
                      X