No announcement yet.

Where An Open ATI Driver Beats The Catalyst Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, the compiliation was most likely correct, but the video accelleration was not selected. You just don't need to specify the extra disable/enable options, those are autodetected.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      No, the compiliation was most likely correct, but the video accelleration was not selected. You just don't need to specify the extra disable/enable options, those are autodetected.
      When I originally wrote the VDPAU test support, the checking of the VDPAU header files within MPlayer wasn't automatic and the build support would then fail if they weren't present. I also want to leave those in for externally checking the existence of the header files as eventually that will be passed back to PTS so that it will dynamically build the option list of what test formats are supported as options with that build.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Will you update the results soon?

Comment

I hope to have the larger video acceleration article (with other hardware and drivers included) done soon.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Basically for h264 and vc1 it does not matter if you use vdpau or vaapi. I only had problems using the divx accelleration with b-frames. There the mplayer vaapi needed a patch - even for the vdpau mode when the mplayer-vdpau.patch was used. If you do not need that -va switch for vdpau you can leave out that one and use the older -vc override instead. You will only notice a diff with divx however.

Comment

Maybe you can also check with and without composition enabled.
              In my experience (hd3450 + fglrx) hardware OpenGL rendering with compiz enabled requires more cpu power than with compiz disabled.

Comment

That may be interesting too, i usally only test with KDE 3 without compiz. As xv output is basically useless gl output might be nice to compare - with forced vsync in amdcccle/nvidia-settings - otherwise it does not look nice.

Comment

I definitely believe the results for X-Video, but the XvBA results are rediculous. Normally, for XvBA, my computer stays at ~3% CPU. Yes, I know it wasn't the point of the article, I just think it is a bit misleading.

Comment

CPU Usage

Wow, looking at this test both these drivers need work. CPU usage should be practically zero. I wait to see the updated test.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
                      Wow, looking at this test both these drivers need work. CPU usage should be practically zero. I wait to see the updated test.
                      That is for CPU video decode, so it should be like that. The only reason why it would be practically zero is using GPU video acceleration (such as XvBA.)

Comment

Working...
                      X