Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you disable direct2d acceleration method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you disable direct2d acceleration method?

I'd like to revert to XAA because direct2d just seems to be too buggy:

See the folder list? Sometimes it's that gray color, sometimes it's black, sometimes it's white, and sometimes it displays just fine. This isn't just limited to the folder list. It happens with the message list and the message pane itself.

However, this command:

# aticonfig --del-pcs-key=DDX,Direct2DAccel

Doesn't seem to do it. Even after running that and restarting X, the log file still shows:

(==) fglrx(0): ATI 2D Acceleration Architecture enabled

Any ideas how I can disable this till all the kinks have been worked out? Anyone else think it was made the default too soon?

Adam

The option name to disable is something like ForceXAA - might be in the aticonfig -help output, not sure.
    Test signature

Comment

XAA doesn't show up in the 'aticonfig --help' output. Just in case, I tried 'aticonfig --forcexaa' and 'aticonfig --ForceXAA' but aticonfig just gave an error that it was an unrecognized option.

Comment

Also, I'm not seeing an option for it in amdcccle, nor does anything about XAA show up in any of the documents in /usr/share/doc/fglrx

Comment

Also, interestingly enough, the problem doesn't happen if I enable a compositing manager (compiz or xcompmgr).

Adam

Comment

Try something like :

aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE
            Test signature

Comment

That did it...

(--) fglrx(0): ATI 2D Acceleration Architecture disabled, using XAA

And now thunderbird looks just fine.

Should I file this as a bug report somewhere?

Adam

Comment

Yes please; ati.cchtml.com would be ideal. Mentioning that the problem only appears with compositing off would be very helpful...

Thanks !
                Test signature

Comment

Also the devs asked me to pass along that the Cat 10.6 drivers aren't ready for old vs new benchmarking yet, ie we enabled the new accel code by default as soon as it appeared the stability was there, we didn't wait for performance optimization.
                  Test signature

Comment

Security hazard

I really don't think that pointing us to a picture on your home network is really smart...

Comment

Working...
                    X