Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rate of ATI Gallium3D Changes Is Impressive

Phoronix: The Rate of ATI Gallium3D Changes Is Impressive

Last week prior to heading over to Germany for LinuxTag, I had ran a new set of ATI R500 Gallium3D benchmarks with an ATI Radeon X1950PRO graphics card and comparing the latest Mesa/Gallium3D graphics driver performance in the Mesa 7.9-devel Git code with both the Gallium3D and classic Mesa DRI drivers to the older Mesa stack found in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The ATI "R300g" driver as its known continues to advance, and over the past week this driver has pushed forward even more. Here is another set of ATI Gallium3D tests.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Who cares about rate of changes? You should look at changes in experience for the end user and in this article you see that nothing has changed with r300g.

Comment

Michael,

I played the ET:Quake Wars demo for 6 hours with r300g, both at Low and Normal graphics settings (though the latter is really slow on my laptop). Even the menu background looks correct. I don't know what goes wrong with your machine. It would be very useful to get the backtrace from your segfault.

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
      Who cares about rate of changes? You should look at changes in experience for the end user and in this article you see that nothing has changed with r300g.
      Doesn't fixing bugs change experience for the end user?

Comment

Please Michael, setup an ubuntu hardy and run a few test with catalyst 9.3 you can store this results forever (because amd will not release more drivers for r300). This way we can know what is the performance of ati latest propietary drivers versus gallium evolution over time.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
          Changes in experience for the end user mostly come with distro releases, and in many cases are based on the accumulation of many smaller changes during development that don't have an immediately obvious effect on their own. This is especially true of "it doesn't work" problems, where an end user's experience can go from zero to awesome with a single patch.

Comment

The menu background is missing when you don't have libtxc_dxtn.so. Also the game doesn't start but show the console (but it doesn't segfault).

It works perfectly with libtxc_dxtn.so.

Comment

"Meh"

Hate to sound disparaging, but this is ?meh? news for all us R300-R500 owners.
              Performance improvements to R2XX didn?t come until the card was as useful as the vesa driver. I?d already bought a R400 card.
              Now again, we?re hoping to get 70% performance (in a year?) for these generation of cards when they are already in the grave
              and just waiting for someone to throw dirt on them. So now I?m contemplating whether to buy HD 4670.
              Opengl3 still off in the distance. Is the situation any better?
              That's why I'll never spend more then $100 for any graphics card.

I don't have high hopes that the open graphics stack will catch up in reasonable time.
              I?m pining for virtualized 3d to come to consumer level cards so I can run 3d games/apps in a VM,
              and do everything else in the linux host.

I have the highest regard for the xorg/radeon guys. Even with ATI releasing the docs, they are up against it
              with no official vendor supporting gallium. You guys literally made miracles happen.

p.s.: I agree that without fglrx benchmarks included, these graphs only tell the less interesting half of the story.

Comment

Well since we're on about end user experience. In the past few months I've gone from not being able to run Heroes of Newerth at all to being able to play it at medium settings.That's the most change that ever happened with the open driver since these cards made their debut.

Comment

Originally posted by rob2687 View Post
                  Well since we're on about end user experience. In the past few months I've gone from not being able to run Heroes of Newerth at all to being able to play it at medium settings.That's the most change that ever happened with the open driver since these cards made their debut.
                  100% agree. Beeing able to play HoN with the foss-drivers had been my biggest wish, and damn I was happy once it worked.
                  I also was able to get the ETQW-demo running after reading oitafs remark about libtxc_dxtn.so. After installing that etqw runs fine at 1280x1024 and normal quality. Performance varies between almost smooth and unplayable on my X1900XT. After installing libtxc_dxtn.so I also was able to run On The Rainslick Precicipe of Darkness. Sweet.

Comment

Nice, nouveau on the other hand is rotting away .

Comment

Working...
                    X